Cannot access direct URLs of specific website.

Matt Graves

A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says "www.example.com/main/". When I hover over a link, "Phone numbers", it will show "www.example.com/phone/", but if I put that into my URL bar, it redirects to the main login for example.com. If I put the username and password in, I am brought right back to the beginning... I was going to use a script to pull some data from this page, but anytime I try to access www.example.com/phone/, it just goes straight to the login page making my script useless.

Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery or any sort of script?

JJ

A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says "www.example.com/main/". When I hover over a link, "Phone numbers", it will show "www.example.com/phone/", but if I put that into my URL bar, it redirects to the main login for example.com. If I put the username and password in, I am brought right back to the beginning... I was going to use a script to pull some data from this page, but anytime I try to access www.example.com/phone/, it just goes straight to the login page making my script useless.

Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery or any sort of script?

Make sure cookies is enabled for that site.

Some sites also check the "Referrer" HTTP header as a kind of bot/hack
protection. So make sure it's enabled too.

Might make no difference, but also try using HTTPS instead of HTTP.

What kind of script are you using?

Jonathan N. Little

Robert said:
Jukka said:
A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
"www.example.com/main/". [...]
Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery
or any sort of script?

The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html
* Address Not Found-----------------------------^

Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES

Jukka K. Korpela

Robert said:
Jukka said:
2013-08-03 0:17, Matt Graves wrote:

A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
"www.example.com/main/".
[...]
Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery
or any sort of script?

The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html
* Address Not Found-----------------------------^

Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES

More exactly, for example domain names that are presented as pure
examples, manifestly distinct from real examples.

So if a problem is described in terms of example.com URLs, without
disclosing any real facts, it is answerable only in a parallel universe
where example.com is a real domain.

Robert Baer

Jonathan said:
Robert said:
Jukka said:
2013-08-03 0:17, Matt Graves wrote:

A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
"www.example.com/main/".
[...]
Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery
or any sort of script?

The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html
* Address Not Found-----------------------------^

Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES
So why "lie"?

Jonathan N. Little

Robert said:
Jonathan said:
Robert said:
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
2013-08-03 0:17, Matt Graves wrote:

A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
"www.example.com/main/".
[...]
Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery
or any sort of script?

The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html
* Address Not Found-----------------------------^

Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES
So why "lie"?

Lie? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com>

Denis McMahon

Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery or
any sort of script?

Without a much clearer idea of what you're talking about, or a functional
example (i.e. the real url), it's impossible to answer.

A description of observed behaviour using fake urls does not contain
sufficient information for anyone to determine what's happening client
side, let alone server side.

Robert Baer

Jonathan said:
Robert said:
Jonathan said:
Robert Baer wrote:
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
2013-08-03 0:17, Matt Graves wrote:

A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
"www.example.com/main/".
[...]
Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery
or any sort of script?

The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html
* Address Not Found-----------------------------^

Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES
So why "lie"?

Lie? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com>
The reference is not relevant; NO reference is relevant.
The given response SAID that such-and such WAS THE ANSWER and it WAS NOT.
Period.
I was being polite when i put the word LIE in quotes.

Jonathan N. Little

Robert said:
Jonathan said:
Robert said:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Robert Baer wrote:
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
[...]

And you seem to miss the point that is was as much of an answer that
could ever be given the lack of relevant information of the OP

Ben Bacarisse

Robert Baer said:
Jonathan said:
Robert said:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Robert Baer wrote:
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
2013-08-03 0:17, Matt Graves wrote:

A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
"www.example.com/main/".
[...]
Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery
or any sort of script?

The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html
* Address Not Found-----------------------------^

Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES

So why "lie"?

Lie? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com>
The reference is not relevant; NO reference is relevant.
The given response SAID that such-and such WAS THE ANSWER and it WAS NOT.
Period.

You are confusing irony with lying.

Denis McMahon

Jukka said:
A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
"www.example.com/main/". [...]
Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery
or any sort of script?

The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html
* Address Not Found-----------------------------^

Exactly. If the OP wants us to diagnose his problem, he's going to have
to give us something more to go on than an explanation of observed
behaviour mapped from the real website to not existing hosts.

Robert Baer

Jonathan said:
Robert said:
Jonathan said:
Robert Baer wrote:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Robert Baer wrote:
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
[...]

There was a significant lack of clarity; someone ELSE had to comment
about relevant info.
For a real life example, i have been having problems with my CD/DVD
drive where the system crashes ONLY if i insert a blank disk.
Now, that omits the info in the STOP screen, so some POSSIBLY
relevant info is missing.
A useful generic answer might be "try replacing the drivers for the
drive".
Obviously non-useful "answers" might be (1) "disconnect the drive",
(2) "replace the SATA cable", (3) "replace the PSU", etc - all of those
were proposed.
NOTE however, ALL of these "answers" were specific and implementable
as-is with NO explanation.
Say an "answer" was "disconnect EXAMPLE widget", where the
capitalized word was a generic placeholder...then SAYING that it was a
generic placeholder would be extremely useful for understanding, and
furthermore a statement as to the placeholder meaning would make it
complete.

Kapish?

Robert Baer

Ben said:
Robert Baer said:
Jonathan said:
Robert Baer wrote:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Robert Baer wrote:
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
2013-08-03 0:17, Matt Graves wrote:

A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
"www.example.com/main/".
[...]
Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery
or any sort of script?

The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html
* Address Not Found-----------------------------^

Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES

So why "lie"?

Lie?<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com>
The reference is not relevant; NO reference is relevant.
The given response SAID that such-and such WAS THE ANSWER and it WAS NOT.
Period.

You are confusing irony with lying.
Was not clear there was irony involved; sorry.

dorayme

Ben Bacarisse said:
You are confusing irony with lying.

Half the world does not seem to understand the meaning of "lying". Our
previous prime minister was constantly accused of lying when she
changed her mind. True, she was more or less breaking a promise, more
if you think promises should be kept no matter how the circumstances
change, less if you don't. But it is hardly lying, that concept
requires a deliberate intention or knowledge of a certain kind at the
time of the alleged lie.

Robert Baer

dorayme said:
Half the world does not seem to understand the meaning of "lying". Our
previous prime minister was constantly accused of lying when she
changed her mind. True, she was more or less breaking a promise, more
if you think promises should be kept no matter how the circumstances
change, less if you don't. But it is hardly lying, that concept
requires a deliberate intention or knowledge of a certain kind at the
time of the alleged lie.
Understand; "lie" (at minimum) contains a DELIBERATE intention to
deceive.
However, it an also include a knowing mis-statement of truth and/or
facts.

Somewhere in the complexity of HTML coding, there appears the
allowance of 'this=that' and i was given a line of code to use that
included that exact construct (no quotes) which puzzled the hell out of me.
ZERO explanation of WTF "this" meant and/or represented, ditto for
"that".
Was just as mis-representative (even IF EXACTLY CORRECT) and useless
as what i complained about.

Presentation of a "solution" that has unusual, uncommon, or otherwise
strange aspects should always be accompanied with a modicum of
explanatory text and perhaps exact fully working examples.
**
"Don't think, don't learn; just do exactly what i say".