    Matt Graves Guest

    A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says "www.example.com/main/". When I hover over a link, "Phone numbers", it will show "www.example.com/phone/", but if I put that into my URL bar, it redirects to the main login for example.com. If I put the username and password in, I am brought right back to the beginning... I was going to use a script to pull some data from this page, but anytime I try to access www.example.com/phone/, it just goes straight to the login page making my script useless.

    Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery or any sort of script?
    Matt Graves, Aug 2, 2013

  2. Matt Graves

    JJ Guest

    On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 14:17:33 -0700 (PDT), Matt Graves wrote:
    > A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says "www.example.com/main/". When I hover over a link, "Phone numbers", it will show "www.example.com/phone/", but if I put that into my URL bar, it redirects to the main login for example.com. If I put the username and password in, I am brought right back to the beginning... I was going to use a script to pull some data from this page, but anytime I try to access www.example.com/phone/, it just goes straight to the login page making my script useless.
    >
    > Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery or any sort of script?

    Make sure cookies is enabled for that site.

    Some sites also check the "Referrer" HTTP header as a kind of bot/hack
    protection. So make sure it's enabled too.

    Might make no difference, but also try using HTTPS instead of HTTP.

    What kind of script are you using?
    JJ, Aug 3, 2013

  3. 2013-08-03 0:17, Matt Graves wrote:

    > A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
    > in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
    > "www.example.com/main/".

    [...]

    The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 3, 2013
  4. Matt Graves

    Robert Baer Guest

    * Address Not Found-----------------------------^

    Robert Baer, Aug 6, 2013
  5. Robert Baer wrote:
    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >> 2013-08-03 0:17, Matt Graves wrote:
    >>
    >>> A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
    >>> in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
    >>> "www.example.com/main/".

    >> [...]
    >>> Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery
    >>> or any sort of script?

    >> The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html

    > * Address Not Found-----------------------------^

    Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 6, 2013
  6. 2013-08-06 7:37, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html

    >> * Address Not Found-----------------------------^

    > Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES

    More exactly, for example domain names that are presented as pure
    examples, manifestly distinct from real examples.

    So if a problem is described in terms of example.com URLs, without
    disclosing any real facts, it is answerable only in a parallel universe
    where example.com is a real domain.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 6, 2013
  7. Matt Graves

    Robert Baer Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html

    >> * Address Not Found-----------------------------^

    > Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES

    So why "lie"?
    Robert Baer, Aug 6, 2013

    Lie? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 6, 2013
  9. On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 14:17:33 -0700, Matt Graves wrote:

    > Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery or
    > any sort of script?

    Without a much clearer idea of what you're talking about, or a functional
    example (i.e. the real url), it's impossible to answer.

    A description of observed behaviour using fake urls does not contain
    sufficient information for anyone to determine what's happening client
    side, let alone server side.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, Aug 6, 2013
  10. Matt Graves

    Robert Baer Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >>> Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES
    >>>

    >> So why "lie"?
    >>

    > Lie? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com>

    The reference is not relevant; NO reference is relevant.
    The given response SAID that such-and such WAS THE ANSWER and it WAS NOT.
    Period.
    I was being polite when i put the word LIE in quotes.
    Robert Baer, Aug 7, 2013
  11. Robert Baer wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:

    >>> So why "lie"?
    >>>

    >> Lie? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com>
    >>

    > The reference is not relevant; NO reference is relevant.
    > The given response SAID that such-and such WAS THE ANSWER and it WAS
    > NOT.
    > Period.
    > I was being polite when i put the word LIE in quotes.

    And you seem to miss the point that is was as much of an answer that
    could ever be given the lack of relevant information of the OP

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 7, 2013
  12. Robert Baer <> writes:

    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:

    >>> So why "lie"?
    >>>

    >> Lie? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com>
    >>

    > The reference is not relevant; NO reference is relevant.
    > The given response SAID that such-and such WAS THE ANSWER and it WAS NOT.
    > Period.

    You are confusing irony with lying.

    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, Aug 7, 2013
  13. On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 19:24:08 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >> 2013-08-03 0:17, Matt Graves wrote:
    >>
    >>> A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
    >>> in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
    >>> "www.example.com/main/".

    >> [...]
    >>> Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery
    >>> or any sort of script?

    >> The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html

    > * Address Not Found-----------------------------^

    Exactly. If the OP wants us to diagnose his problem, he's going to have
    to give us something more to go on than an explanation of observed
    behaviour mapped from the real website to not existing hosts.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, Aug 7, 2013
  14. Matt Graves

    Robert Baer Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >>> Lie? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com>
    >>>

    >> The reference is not relevant; NO reference is relevant.
    >> The given response SAID that such-and such WAS THE ANSWER and it WAS
    >> NOT.
    >> Period.
    >> I was being polite when i put the word LIE in quotes.
    >>

    > And you seem to miss the point that is was as much of an answer that
    > could ever be given the lack of relevant information of the OP

    There was a significant lack of clarity; someone ELSE had to comment
    about relevant info.
    For a real life example, i have been having problems with my CD/DVD
    drive where the system crashes ONLY if i insert a blank disk.
    Now, that omits the info in the STOP screen, so some POSSIBLY
    relevant info is missing.
    A useful generic answer might be "try replacing the drivers for the
    drive".
    Obviously non-useful "answers" might be (1) "disconnect the drive",
    (2) "replace the SATA cable", (3) "replace the PSU", etc - all of those
    were proposed.
    NOTE however, ALL of these "answers" were specific and implementable
    as-is with NO explanation.
    Say an "answer" was "disconnect EXAMPLE widget", where the
    capitalized word was a generic placeholder...then SAYING that it was a
    generic placeholder would be extremely useful for understanding, and
    furthermore a statement as to the placeholder meaning would make it
    complete.

    Kapish?
    Robert Baer, Aug 7, 2013
  15. Matt Graves

    Robert Baer Guest

    Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    > Robert Baer<> writes:
    >
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >>> Lie?<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com>
    >>>

    >> The reference is not relevant; NO reference is relevant.
    >> The given response SAID that such-and such WAS THE ANSWER and it WAS NOT.
    >> Period.

    > You are confusing irony with lying.

    Was not clear there was irony involved; sorry.
    Robert Baer, Aug 7, 2013
  16. Matt Graves

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:

    > You are confusing irony with lying.

    Half the world does not seem to understand the meaning of "lying". Our
    previous prime minister was constantly accused of lying when she
    changed her mind. True, she was more or less breaking a promise, more
    if you think promises should be kept no matter how the circumstances
    change, less if you don't. But it is hardly lying, that concept
    requires a deliberate intention or knowledge of a certain kind at the
    time of the alleged lie.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 8, 2013
  17. Matt Graves

    Robert Baer Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > Ben Bacarisse<> wrote:
    >
    >> You are confusing irony with lying.

    > Half the world does not seem to understand the meaning of "lying". Our
    > previous prime minister was constantly accused of lying when she
    > changed her mind. True, she was more or less breaking a promise, more
    > if you think promises should be kept no matter how the circumstances
    > change, less if you don't. But it is hardly lying, that concept
    > requires a deliberate intention or knowledge of a certain kind at the
    > time of the alleged lie.

    Understand; "lie" (at minimum) contains a DELIBERATE intention to
    deceive.
    However, it an also include a knowing mis-statement of truth and/or
    facts.

    Somewhere in the complexity of HTML coding, there appears the
    allowance of 'this=that' and i was given a line of code to use that
    included that exact construct (no quotes) which puzzled the hell out of me.
    ZERO explanation of WTF "this" meant and/or represented, ditto for
    "that".
    Was just as mis-representative (even IF EXACTLY CORRECT) and useless
    as what i complained about.

    Presentation of a "solution" that has unusual, uncommon, or otherwise
    strange aspects should always be accompanied with a modicum of
    explanatory text and perhaps exact fully working examples.
    **
    "Don't think, don't learn; just do exactly what i say".
    Robert Baer, Aug 8, 2013