Cannot access Network Non plug and play printer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Homa, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Homa

    Homa Guest

    I have a web service that want to print something to a printer
    connected on another computer in the network. And that printer happens
    to be a non-plug and play printer (It's a thermal printer).

    I tried to install the printer to the server directly and it works
    fine (I use PrinterSettings.PrinterName to set the printer). But when
    I set it up on another computer it doesn't work. I have installed the
    networked printer's driver to the server and I notice something odd.

    When debug, I look at PrinterSettings.InstalledPrinter[], the thermal
    printer in not in the list while other networked plug and play
    printers are in the list. (but again, the thermal printer is in the
    "Printers and Faxes" folder, I'm using WinXP)

    Whenever I tried to access the printer, I got "RPC not available"
    error. But I have checked that service is started and I can print test
    pages remotely.

    Please give me some ideas about what can went wrong.

    Thanks,
    Homa Wong

    Homa, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Homa

    bruce barker Guest

    local accounts such as the machine account asp.net runs under do not have
    network access rights. you have to fill in a domain userName and password
    in the web config.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Aug 5, 2003