Cannot Add Web Reference in VS2005 (but everything works in VS2003)

Oblivion

Hi Everyone.

I'm running into a weird problem with VS 2005. I can no longer easily
add web references. In Visual Studio, I right click "References" and
choose "Add Web Reference". Then, in the dialog box, I type the
location of the reference, "http://acme/acmeWebServices/". After a
few seconds, I see the web methods in the right pane (which is just a
reflection of Internet Explorer) but in the right pane, the "Add
Reference" button is greyed out and there's a error: "The request
failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable." I cannot create a
proxyFile using WSDL.exe either (even when I specify the proxy URL,
user and password properties). Other oddities include having to use
fully qualified names for some web references. I found that there's
one server in our enterprise who's webservice I can add (besides
localhost). But even there, i can't simply specify "http://server/
WebService/" (I get a "Proxy Authentication Required" error). i have
to specify "http://server.company.com/WebService/" to correctly get
all the web services.

I do all of this in VS 2003 with no problems. There's something
that's changed in VS 2005 and I don't know where to look for it. I've
scoured Google and other search engines and tried almost everything
(even obscure stuff like "regsvr32 msxml.dll", etc).

Thanks in advance for the help!