Cannot Add Web Reference in VS2005 (but everything works in VS2003)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Oblivion, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. Oblivion

    Oblivion Guest

    Hi Everyone.

    I'm running into a weird problem with VS 2005. I can no longer easily
    add web references. In Visual Studio, I right click "References" and
    choose "Add Web Reference". Then, in the dialog box, I type the
    location of the reference, "http://acme/acmeWebServices/". After a
    few seconds, I see the web methods in the right pane (which is just a
    reflection of Internet Explorer) but in the right pane, the "Add
    Reference" button is greyed out and there's a error: "The request
    failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable." I cannot create a
    proxyFile using WSDL.exe either (even when I specify the proxy URL,
    user and password properties). Other oddities include having to use
    fully qualified names for some web references. I found that there's
    one server in our enterprise who's webservice I can add (besides
    localhost). But even there, i can't simply specify "http://server/
    WebService/" (I get a "Proxy Authentication Required" error). i have
    to specify "http://server.company.com/WebService/" to correctly get
    all the web services.

    I do all of this in VS 2003 with no problems. There's something
    that's changed in VS 2005 and I don't know where to look for it. I've
    scoured Google and other search engines and tried almost everything
    (even obscure stuff like "regsvr32 msxml.dll", etc).

    Thanks in advance for the help!

    Oblivion, Feb 22, 2008

  2. Oblivion

    bruce barker Guest

    RE: Cannot Add Web Reference in VS2005 (but everything works in VS2003

    update the proxy settings in vs2005 configuration file:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910804

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Feb 22, 2008