cannot attach to aspnet_wp.exe

Guest

i have a DLL which implements a HTTP handler, written in C#, and have
deployed it on IIS 5.0, on XP service pack 2.
six months ago, i was able to debug it by attaching CLR to the process
(aspnet_wp.exe).
now i can't attach to the process any more. when i select the process from
the list, and then select to attach the CLR, i just get a dialog box saying
"Cannot attach to process". there is no more info, nothing to direct me
further.
incidentally, i can still attach CLR to other processes and debug them
properly.

any help much appreciated.

DalePres

Are you sure the DLL created in the Debug configuration?

DalePres
MCAD, MCDBA, MCSE

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

Check your application directory for the presence of a .pdb file. You may
try rebuilding this pdb file because it may be corrupted or unusable.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
Now Available @ http://tinyurl.com/27cok

Guest

there were pdb files in my debug directory. so i tried rebuilding the
solution from scratch, but to no avail. i reverted to old-fashioned debugging
through trace code to get me through this urgent problem, and i'll get around
to doing more investigation when i get more time.
thanks to Dale and Alvin for your suggeestions.

donall said:
i have a DLL which implements a HTTP handler, written in C#, and have
deployed it on IIS 5.0, on XP service pack 2.
six months ago, i was able to debug it by attaching CLR to the process
(aspnet_wp.exe).
now i can't attach to the process any more. when i select the process from
the list, and then select to attach the CLR, i just get a dialog box
saying
"Cannot attach to process". there is no more info, nothing to direct me
further.
incidentally, i can still attach CLR to other processes and debug them
properly.

any help much appreciated.

DalePres

Another thing to try is deleting the VSWebCache folder at C:\Documents and
Settings\<%Your Login Name%>\VSWebCache

Sometimes it gets corrupted and can cause the symptoms you describe as well.

DalePres