Cannot compile working perl on freebsd / amd64

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Mike Hunter, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. Mike Hunter

    Mike Hunter Guest

    Hi,

    I'm hoping somebody out there has some advice for me.

    I cannot compile a working perl binary for freebsd 5.2.1, 5.3, or 6.0 on
    amd64. During the `make test` phase it gets into some kind of memory loop
    with Config.t: It sits on this test with 99% cpu and ever-increasing memory
    until finally runnnig the machine out of ram.

    I have the incomplete build sitting in /tmp, and I can envoke lib/Config.t
    and get it to do it straight away. kdump (strace on linux) shows it doing
    break after break:

    23961 perl CALL break(0x1f86000)
    23961 perl RET break 0
    23961 perl CALL break(0x2254000)
    23961 perl RET break 0
    23961 perl CALL break(0x1f88000)
    23961 perl RET break 0
    23961 perl CALL break(0x2258000)
    23961 perl RET break 0
    23961 perl CALL break(0x1f8a000)
    23961 perl RET break 0
    23961 perl CALL break(0x225c000)
    23961 perl RET break 0
    23961 perl CALL break(0x1f8c000)
    23961 perl RET break 0
    23961 perl CALL break(0x2260000)
    23961 perl RET break 0
    23961 perl CALL break(0x1f8e000)
    23961 perl RET break 0
    23961 perl CALL break(0x2264000)
    23961 perl RET break 0
    23961 perl CALL break(0x1f90000)

    I'd really appreciate any advice on how to debug the problem or work around it.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Mike Hunter, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Also sprach Mike Hunter:

    > I'm hoping somebody out there has some advice for me.
    >
    > I cannot compile a working perl binary for freebsd 5.2.1, 5.3, or 6.0 on
    > amd64. During the `make test` phase it gets into some kind of memory loop
    > with Config.t: It sits on this test with 99% cpu and ever-increasing memory
    > until finally runnnig the machine out of ram.
    >
    > I have the incomplete build sitting in /tmp, and I can envoke lib/Config.t
    > and get it to do it straight away. kdump (strace on linux) shows it doing
    > break after break:
    >
    > 23961 perl CALL break(0x1f86000)
    > 23961 perl RET break 0
    > 23961 perl CALL break(0x2254000)
    > 23961 perl RET break 0

    [...]

    You should report that to along with the output
    of 'perl -V' of this incomplete perl. If that is not possible (because
    the build is in fact too incomplete to even run perl -V), include
    config.h as generated by Configure in your report.

    Tassilo

    Tassilo v. Parseval, Dec 10, 2004