Cannot Connect to SQL Server with Server Name

Steve - DND

We've been experiencing some intermittent connectivity issues lately and
cannot seem to find the cause. Basically we can sometimes connect to the SQL
Server via the machine name, and then all of a sudden we'll no longer be
able to. Once this happens, we need to use the server IP to connect. Then a
few days later we'll be able to connect via the server name again. During
this time we're always able to ping the server via it's machine name.

We are using SQL Authentication, so this should not be some form of Windows
account permissions issue. This only happens through ASP.Net. We can connect
using the server name just fine through classic ASP, and regular .Net
Windows apps. It does not happen to all developers at the same time, but
seems to plague individuals at random.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Thanks,
Steve