Cannot create an ASP.NET Project

Paul Marrero

Hello all. I just got a new computer and loaded Visual Studio 2003 (with SP
1). I have tried numerous times to create an ASP.NET project to no avail.
Whenever I try to create a project, VS hangs for a minute or two then
displays this error:

The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL:
'http://localhost/WebApplication1'. 'The operation timed out'.

I have tried tried several times to run aspnet_regiis.exe -i with no luck.
It says it installed successfully, but when I look in the ASPNETSetup.log
file, I see this error message:

2006-10-26 17:02:31 Failure Getting IIS6 specific SID:
GetPrincipalSIDfailed with HRESULT800706fd: 'The trust relationship between
this workstation and the primary domain failed. '

I thought that there may be some issues with permissions, and it still may
be. But I looked at this and don't see any glaring problems here.

I am running Windows XP with SP2. Version 2.0 of the .NET framework is also
running. I also installed the Front Page 2002 Server Extensions with the
last security patch.

I have exhausted my knowledge here. Any help would be most appreciated.
Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks.
-Paul

Mark Fitzpatrick

This would be an issue with the FP server extension permissions probably.
Try going into the extensions and adding your own account as an admin for
the root web. Then run a check and fix extensions on it to help correct any
permissions errors. If that doesn't work, you can use the permissions wizard
in the IIS MMC to reset them. Often a security patch may cause windows to do
a little tweaking of the NTFS permissions. Basically what I've found over
the years is occassionally an error in the inheritence will eb propegated
down the chain after an update is performed.

Paul Marrero

I've tried this and it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion.

However, I have not tried the permissions wizard. Where do I find this? I
don't believe I've used it before.

Also, whenever I do anything with the FrontPage Extensions, I noticed that
my CPU utilization hovers around 50%.

Thanks.
-Paul

Paul Marrero

BTW, I also have a bunch file text files on my root directory. They start
off like s1vk, then s1vk.1, s1vk.2, etc. Then s11s, s11s.1, etc. The
extensions start with nothing, then 1, 2, 3...through 9, then a through z.
It looks as if everytime I try to create a Web Project, these files get
created.

All the files start off very similar (see below).

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.1
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:37:02 GMT

GIF89a"  ³ ÿÿÿ_SÅ 2ee~Ë~ËÿTÌÿ ??fTfÌÌÌÿÿÿ !ù
, "  Ã0I§­øê¤úþY¨uSh,?z¬A¶pêtmßx¸]¢×"
ð£qf+Ba¹$ov¯>Ϧd^Å£ÂpãR­×¡xØ"ÞªVÂ`=@3 3>
î÷5^2Tvxiq5s4hJk.e6StK?z'>o?4<h?'§zzM.5-O?o©>f
[]g?yzªy¶¯Àx¼"·r¹º»´¦¬}En?f¼Y^[,ÓWlm`W$áâcåå ;

Thanks.
-Paul

Juan T. Llibre

Nuke the install and do a fresh install.

Either run the uninstall tool found here :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/uninstall/default.aspx

....or uninstall manually. The instructions for a manual uninstall are there, too.