Cannot create ASP.Net project in Visual Studio .Net 2003

Guest

..Net Visual Studio Professional 2003 Version 7.1.3088
..Net Framework 1.1 SP1 Version 1.1.4322
IIS 5.1
Windows XP Professional SP2
Micron T3000 Laptop (1.5 GHz; 1GB RAM; 40GB HD with 17GB Free)

I installed FrontPage server extensions to IIS on my computer while
following instructions in a Microsoft ASP.Net MCSD training book.

After installing the FrontPage Server Extensions I cannot create a new
ASP.Net project or load an existing one; Visual Studio .Net hangs up and has
to be closed using task manager. I waited over two hours at one point. Also
IIS runs at 99% CPU usage and has to be shut down with task manager. I have
tried to Windows Updates, but the downloads fail.

I have run aspnet_regiis -u and -i; checked my security settings making sure
that ASPNET has permissions to my IIS directory and the folders that I use
for the virtual directory.

I do not have access to the VS install disks - and I am supposed to be
getting an upgrade to VS 2005... someday [when our IT dept. gets around to
it].

Very frustrating... I am supposed to be starting a new ASP.Net project and
really need to get this resolved.

Any suggestions eagerly tried out and greatly appreciated.

Please note that I have searched newsgroups and Internet for answers, but
nothing I have found has worked for me yet... I have posted this question to
the gotdotnet newsgroups with no response.

Thanks.

Patrick.O.Ige

Maybe after running the aspnet_regiis commands try re starting IIS and see
Patrick
** Also see you event LOG and see what process is running down your CPU

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I installed FrontPage server extensions to IIS on my computer

You don't need FrontPage Server extensions to create projects in VS.NET 2003.

Uninstall them and everything should be OK.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com
==================================
JonSteng said:
[...]

But Juan there was one time i tried installing VS.NET and i had to install
Frontpage server extension first before i could continue with the
installation.
Why was that?
Patrick

re:

JonSteng said:
[...]

From :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvsent/html/ent_templates_sc.asp

There are two methods for remote file access from VS : File Share and FrontPage Server Extensions.

File Share
File Share is both the default and recommended method for remote file access.

A Web application resides at a shared network location. Once the initial http address for the
project
has been determined, Visual Studio .NET resolves the address to a Universal Naming Convention (UNC).

Using a combination of direct file and http access, the UNC-addressable network share is used
to perform all operations on the project. When you open a project from source control,

Visual Studio creates a "working copy" of the remote master copy in the specified working folder.

Developers perform all work against this working copy. Having one master copy and one or more
working copies allows developers to work in isolation, modifying shared files on their own machines
and safely merging changes to the master copy without overwriting the changes made by others.

File Share Web access can be used with all Microsoft Source Code Control Interface (MSCCI)
compliant providers including Visual SourceSafe.

FrontPage Server Extensions

A second way for Visual Studio .NET to access remote files is by means of FrontPage Server
Extensions. Server Extensions act as an intermediary and forward source control requests from
Visual Studio .NET to Visual SourceSafe.

Unlike the File Share technique, a working copy of the project is not maintained-modifications
persist directly to the master copy. As a result, a project's files cannot be checked out by
numerous developers. Instead, file access is serialized. One developer checks out and makes
modifications to a file and all other developers are blocked until the file is checked back in.

Another restriction of FrontPage Server Extensions is that a project cannot be directly added to
VSS from Visual Studio. Instead, the action must be performed within VSS itself.

Because of these disadvantages, FrontPage Server Extensions are not recommended for most situations.

Patrick.O.Ige said:
But Juan there was one time i tried installing VS.NET and i had to install
Frontpage server extension first before i could continue with the installation.
Why was that?
Patrick

re:

JonSteng said:
[...]

Thank you both, very much for the response. Re-starting IIS and removing the
server extensions did not solve the issue.

In an attempt to get some work done I started to download Visual Web
Developer Express Edition. During the install I received an error that BITS
(Background Intelligent Transfer Service) service was not started on my
computer. I tried to start the service manually but was denied access to
it...
Description of BITS:
***
Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the
service is stopped, features such as Windows Update, and MSN Explorer will be
unable to automatically download programs and other information. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it may fail to
transfer files if they do not have a fail safe mechanism to transfer files
directly through IE in case BITS has been disabled.
***

My best guess is that this service status was changed during the setup of
the server extensions somehow? That is when my issues started, and I was not
able to download updates from the Microsoft Update site while trying to fix
the issue.

Waiting on my IT department to figure out who can try to help me fix it :(

After I get the service started again I will post an answer as to if that
fixed the issue or not.

Juan - I really do appreciate the detailed explaination of the differences
between file share and front page server extensions, thank you. I'll stick
with file share.
--
JonSteng
Coding in Sunny Central Florida

From :

Patrick.O.Ige said:
But Juan there was one time i tried installing VS.NET and i had to install
Frontpage server extension first before i could continue with the installation.
Why was that?
Patrick

re: