Cannot create ASP.Net project in Visual Studio .Net 2003

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uU3Rlbmc=?=, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. ..Net Visual Studio Professional 2003 Version 7.1.3088
    ..Net Framework 1.1 SP1 Version 1.1.4322
    IIS 5.1
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    Micron T3000 Laptop (1.5 GHz; 1GB RAM; 40GB HD with 17GB Free)

    I installed FrontPage server extensions to IIS on my computer while
    following instructions in a Microsoft ASP.Net MCSD training book.

    After installing the FrontPage Server Extensions I cannot create a new
    ASP.Net project or load an existing one; Visual Studio .Net hangs up and has
    to be closed using task manager. I waited over two hours at one point. Also
    IIS runs at 99% CPU usage and has to be shut down with task manager. I have
    tried to Windows Updates, but the downloads fail.

    I have run aspnet_regiis -u and -i; checked my security settings making sure
    that ASPNET has permissions to my IIS directory and the folders that I use
    for the virtual directory.

    I do not have access to the VS install disks - and I am supposed to be
    getting an upgrade to VS 2005... someday [when our IT dept. gets around to
    it].

    Very frustrating... I am supposed to be starting a new ASP.Net project and
    really need to get this resolved.

    Any suggestions eagerly tried out and greatly appreciated.

    Please note that I have searched newsgroups and Internet for answers, but
    nothing I have found has worked for me yet... I have posted this question to
    the gotdotnet newsgroups with no response.

    Thanks.
    --
    JonSteng
    Coding in Sunny Central Florida
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uU3Rlbmc=?=, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Maybe after running the aspnet_regiis commands try re starting IIS and see
    Patrick
    ** Also see you event LOG and see what process is running down your CPU

    Patrick.O.Ige, Feb 3, 2006

  3. re:
    > I installed FrontPage server extensions to IIS on my computer

    You don't need FrontPage Server extensions to create projects in VS.NET 2003.

    Uninstall them and everything should be OK.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com
    ==================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 3, 2006
  4. But Juan there was one time i tried installing VS.NET and i had to install
    Frontpage server extension first before i could continue with the
    installation.
    Why was that?
    Patrick

    Patrick.O.Ige, Feb 3, 2006
  5. From :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvsent/html/ent_templates_sc.asp

    There are two methods for remote file access from VS : File Share and FrontPage Server Extensions.

    File Share
    File Share is both the default and recommended method for remote file access.

    A Web application resides at a shared network location. Once the initial http address for the
    project
    has been determined, Visual Studio .NET resolves the address to a Universal Naming Convention (UNC).

    Using a combination of direct file and http access, the UNC-addressable network share is used
    to perform all operations on the project. When you open a project from source control,

    Visual Studio creates a "working copy" of the remote master copy in the specified working folder.

    Developers perform all work against this working copy. Having one master copy and one or more
    working copies allows developers to work in isolation, modifying shared files on their own machines
    and safely merging changes to the master copy without overwriting the changes made by others.

    File Share Web access can be used with all Microsoft Source Code Control Interface (MSCCI)
    compliant providers including Visual SourceSafe.

    FrontPage Server Extensions

    A second way for Visual Studio .NET to access remote files is by means of FrontPage Server
    Extensions. Server Extensions act as an intermediary and forward source control requests from
    Visual Studio .NET to Visual SourceSafe.

    Unlike the File Share technique, a working copy of the project is not maintained-modifications
    persist directly to the master copy. As a result, a project's files cannot be checked out by
    numerous developers. Instead, file access is serialized. One developer checks out and makes
    modifications to a file and all other developers are blocked until the file is checked back in.

    Another restriction of FrontPage Server Extensions is that a project cannot be directly added to
    VSS from Visual Studio. Instead, the action must be performed within VSS itself.

    Because of these disadvantages, FrontPage Server Extensions are not recommended for most situations.

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 3, 2006
  6. Thank you both, very much for the response. Re-starting IIS and removing the
    server extensions did not solve the issue.

    In an attempt to get some work done I started to download Visual Web
    Developer Express Edition. During the install I received an error that BITS
    (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) service was not started on my
    computer. I tried to start the service manually but was denied access to
    it...
    Description of BITS:
    ***
    Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the
    service is stopped, features such as Windows Update, and MSN Explorer will be
    unable to automatically download programs and other information. If this
    service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it may fail to
    transfer files if they do not have a fail safe mechanism to transfer files
    directly through IE in case BITS has been disabled.
    ***

    My best guess is that this service status was changed during the setup of
    the server extensions somehow? That is when my issues started, and I was not
    able to download updates from the Microsoft Update site while trying to fix
    the issue.

    Waiting on my IT department to figure out who can try to help me fix it :(

    After I get the service started again I will post an answer as to if that
    fixed the issue or not.

    Juan - I really do appreciate the detailed explaination of the differences
    between file share and front page server extensions, thank you. I'll stick
    with file share.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uU3Rlbmc=?=, Feb 3, 2006