Cannot Create new VS Web Project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by TimC, May 24, 2005.

  1. TimC

    TimC Guest

    I hope someone can help - I am getting desperate!

    I have promised to do some work for someone developing an ASP.NEt
    application.

    I have VS Studio 2002 installed on my pc which is running XP-Pro (and
    therefore IIs 5.1) and have instannled .Net framework v1.1.4322.

    I canot create a new web project - I get the error

    "unable to validate the file path....does not match url path..."

    Having scoured the web for answers (I have spent HOURS on this!) I
    believe it is something to do with VS trying to create a tmp file in
    the \inetput\wwwroot folder to validate IIS is running and failing.

    I have checked IIS is running ok (I can open and run ASP pages ok).

    I have :

    * checked my user is in the VS Developers Group
    * run aspnet_regiis -i in the
    \windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322 folder
    * loaded the latest vs updates
    * iis has a default web site running on port 80
    * I have tried disabling mcAfee person firewall - no difference
    * I don't have Zone Alarm
    * tried both with file share and fronpage sevrer extensions options
    * checked the 'write' option in the default web site
    * made sure user and the ASPNET user has permissions to wwwroot (do I
    need a wwwroot$ share?)
    * tried substituting '127.0.0.1' for 'localhost' in the new project
    name

    PLEASE HELP!!!

    TimC, May 24, 2005

  2. TimC

    Damien Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > I hope someone can help - I am getting desperate!
    >
    > I have promised to do some work for someone developing an ASP.NEt
    > application.
    >
    > I have VS Studio 2002 installed on my pc which is running XP-Pro (and
    > therefore IIs 5.1) and have instannled .Net framework v1.1.4322.
    >
    > I canot create a new web project - I get the error
    >
    > "unable to validate the file path....does not match url path..."
    >
    > Having scoured the web for answers (I have spent HOURS on this!) I
    > believe it is something to do with VS trying to create a tmp file in
    > the \inetput\wwwroot folder to validate IIS is running and failing.
    >
    > I have checked IIS is running ok (I can open and run ASP pages ok).
    >
    > I have :
    >
    > * checked my user is in the VS Developers Group
    > * run aspnet_regiis -i in the
    > \windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322 folder
    > * loaded the latest vs updates
    > * iis has a default web site running on port 80
    > * I have tried disabling mcAfee person firewall - no difference
    > * I don't have Zone Alarm
    > * tried both with file share and fronpage sevrer extensions options
    > * checked the 'write' option in the default web site
    > * made sure user and the ASPNET user has permissions to wwwroot (do I
    > need a wwwroot$ share?)
    > * tried substituting '127.0.0.1' for 'localhost' in the new project
    > name
    >

    > PLEASE HELP!!!

    Doesn't VS 2002 only work with framework 1.0, rather than 1.1? If you
    use Internet Services Manager, and view the properties of the projects
    virtual directory, is their as ASP.NET tab (which signifies that there
    is more than one asp.net available) ? If so, which framework does it
    indicate it is using for your project?

    I know I have the problem that I have 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0b installed, and
    whenever I create a project in VS2003 I have to go into ISM and switch
    the framework from 2.0 to 1.1.

    I have had one project (which made heavy use of HttpHandlers) where I
    had to install the Frontpage extensions and let VS access the project
    that way.

    Beyond that (and back to your supposition about the tmp file), are
    there are odd permissions settings in the Inetpub folder?

    HTH,

    Damien.

    Damien, May 24, 2005

  3. TimC

    TimC Guest

    I uninstalled 1.1, and reinstalled 1.0.3705 and reinstalled - and
    checked it was ok.

    Still no luck.

    Any other ideas would be gratefully received.

    TimC, May 24, 2005
  4. TimC

    Damien Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > I uninstalled 1.1, and reinstalled 1.0.3705 and reinstalled - and
    > checked it was ok.
    >
    > Still no luck.
    >
    > Any other ideas would be gratefully received.

    If you run a command prompt, and then enter the command

    c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\aspnet_regiis.exe -lv

    what does it display? (Please note, I'm not sure what platform you're
    running on. The above works on Windows 2000, other platforms may need
    to have "c:\windows" substituted for "c:\winnt")

    Damien, May 26, 2005
  5. TimC

    Damien Guest

    Damien wrote:
    > TimC wrote:
    > > I uninstalled 1.1, and reinstalled 1.0.3705 and reinstalled - and
    > > checked it was ok.
    > >
    > > Still no luck.
    > >
    > > Any other ideas would be gratefully received.
    > >

    > If you run a command prompt, and then enter the command
    >
    > c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\aspnet_regiis.exe -lv
    >
    > what does it display? (Please note, I'm not sure what platform you're
    > running on. The above works on Windows 2000, other platforms may need
    > to have "c:\windows" substituted for "c:\winnt")

    Sorry, looking back at the OP, it's probable that you've already done
    this. Have you tried installing FrontPage extensions and change the
    default Web access to use those instead of file share?

    Damien, May 26, 2005