Cannot create new Web applications

Jay Bienvenu

I cannot create new Web applications in Visual Studio .NET 2003. I
get this error message: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the
application. The likeliest problem is that required components are not
installed on the local Web server. Run Visual Studio .NET setup and
add the Web Development commponent." So I ran the Visual Studio .NET
setup and added the Web Development component...and get the same
problem.

The thing is that the existing Web applications that I am working on
open without a hitch. I cannot verify that I have ever successfully
created a new Web application project, but I do have two small.
projects that I created from scratch without creating this problem.

The development in question is taking place on my own machine, with
http://localhost the root URL and the files residing in
C:\inetpub\wwwroot. Each project has its own folder in
C:\inetpub\wwwroot. The .sln file for the successful projects reside
in folders in C:\Documents and Settings\[{my account}\My
Documents\Visual Studio Projects. The projects, project folders and
..sln folders all have the same names.

I have done the following:
* Verified that IIS is running on my machine (Win XP Pro).
* Run 'aspnet_regiis.exe /i ' from the Visual Studio .NET command
prompt.
* Removed .NET Framework 1.1 and reinstalled it from the Visual Studio
prerequisites disk.
* Repaired Visual Studio.

I have not performed a security lockdown.

Guest

Could be either components are not installed, make sure you have installed
all of the .NET pre-requisists. If these are installed it is possible that
the virtual directory is not set up correctly. When you start a VS.net
application from scratch it will create this directory for you but if you
copy a vs.net application from another machine you may have to set up the
virtual directory using IIS(internet services manager.)

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Jay,

Have you tried this?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825792

"When you try to open an ASP.NET Web Application project, the ASP.NET
process accesses a nonexistent file that is named Get_aspx_ver.aspx to
retrieve the ASP.NET version information. If the defaultRedirect attribute
is not set to an HTML file or to an ASP file, the request for the
Get_aspx_ver.aspx file returns the HTTP 404 error and the ASP.NET version
information. If the defaultRedirect attribute is set to an HTML file or to
an ASP file, the request for the Get_aspx_ver.aspx file does not return the
ASP.NET version information. Therefore, you receive the error that is
mentioned in the "Symptoms" section of this article."

Let us know?

Ken
MVP [ASP.NET]