Cannot create webapplications

Jon H

Whenever I try to create an asp.net webapplication, I keep getting the
error: Cannot find the components for communicating with the frontpage
server extensions. I tried reinstalling Visual Studio .net 2002, Frontpage
server extension, and component update, but I keep getting this same error.
I haven't been able to find any support on this issue. Please help.

Jon H

Finally I figured it out!

I searched through various messages about Frontpage extenstion and I
stumbled across this message which fixed my problem:

"I had a problem with Visual Studio .NET 2003 not being able to create
ASP.NET projects. The problem was incompatibility between Front Page 2003
and Visual Studio 2003. I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Microsoft. So,
here's my summary on it:
It's an incompatibility with Front Page 2003 and Visual Studio 2003. When
Front Page 2003 installs it registers fp5awec.dll. That registration
supersedes fp4awec.dll. These files are found in "\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\X0\bin", where X is 4,5,or 6.
The problem is that Visual Studio 2003 came out before Front Page 2003 and
fp5awec.dll does not work with Visual Studio. So, you have to manually
unregister all fpXawec.dll files and reregister the fp4 file.

In terms of general order of progressing through this minefield:

1. Make sure the Web Server is working. If IIS 6.0 then there is an
additional step of enabling the asp functionality which is not needed with
IIS 5.0.

2. Have the latest server extensions (2002) and latest service pack for
that.

3. If you have Front Page client installed, make sure you can open
http://localhost/ in Front Page.

4. If you have Front Page 2003 installed, run through the manual unregistry
and registry described above.

5. Before installing/reinstalling Visual Studio make sure you run all the
Prerequisites from the Prerequisite CD

In my case, everything was fine except I needed step 4.

I do have a paypal account if anyone wants to send me money (ok, just
kidding)."

--Ves

Tuco

Hi there! I know this is an old topic, but I've been struggling agains
this bug for 2 days and I finally get it to work!!! Yeaaahhhh!!!

The solution was, among many things I've done (directory permission
installing and uninstalling: IIS, VS2003, Front Page, ..., debuggin
with Filemon, ...), *getting the fp4awec.dll to work*! I've tryied th
regsvr32, but with no success... Since I've cleaned my registry (wit
Registry Mechanic), I think wrong stuff was gone... And when I tryie
again to register the fp4awec.dll, it *WORKED*! The last step wa
running the aspnet_regiis -i and GOTCHA, VS2003 created my project!!

Cheers,
Tuc

-
Tuc