Cannot debug asp.net applications

Peter Afonin

Hello:

I'm running Windows server 2003. I've never had any problems with debugging,
but now I cannot debug ANY of my projects. I'm getting this error:

"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web
server. Access is
denied."

The only thing I've done recently was installing all the latest Microsoft
security patches, I have nothing else to blame. Do you know what could be
done?

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Peter Afonin

I tried to uninstall all latest Microsoft patches, now I'm getting this
error:

"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web
server. Could
not read key from registry"

Thank you.

David E

Hi Peter,

Are you saying you can't debug ANY projct or you can't debug
previously created projects.
Try creating a new project and see if you can debug that.

I recently installed VS2002 enerprise architecture over the top of VS2000.
This obviously upgraded the framework and now I can't debug my old projects
that were created under version 1.0 of the framework although I can debug
applications created under version 1.1 of the framework.

This is something to do (I think) with the wp_aspnet process account (of the
two sperate framework versions) or possibly the account IIS is running
under.

The security patches will probabally have closed a few vunerabilities that
have broke some of your applications.

The IIS lockdown tool (if you have run it) is a real pain for this.

Can anybody offer advice on how I can debug my projects created under 1.0 of
the framework on VS.NET 2003 I would appreciate knowing :)

cheers

David.

ps.

You may want to read this article if you haven't already
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306172

Peter Afonin said:
I tried to uninstall all latest Microsoft patches, now I'm getting this
error:

"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web
server. Could
not read key from registry"

Thank you.

Peter Afonin

Thank you, David.

I cannot debug ANY ASP.Net projects, including the new ones. I installed
VS.Net 2003 long time ago.

Peter

David E said:
[...]

Mohammad A. Samara

This is happening to me as well, the only difference is that I had no luck
debugging ASP.NET application in the first place since I installed VS.NET
2003 on Windows 2003 Server. I assume it has something to do with the
default tightened security setting on Windows 2003 server when you promote
it to a domain controller. I have been struggling with this for months and I
really wonder if I will ever find a solution for this!

----------------

Peter Afonin

Thank you very much, Tim.

I had no luck so far. Actually, after installing these MS patches, I'm
having all kind of other security issues on my computer. I guess they are
related to my debugging problem. I may need to reinstall my OS.

Peter

George Birbilis

I have had my portion of "fun" trying to fix debugging problems... I've
found that this document has helped me out a whole lot. One setting you may
want to make sure of is that your Internet Explorer Security is sending your
Username/password. Follow these steps:
Tools > Internet Options > Security > Internet > Custom Level... > User
Authentication - set to Automatic Logon with current username and password.
I think the default is Automatic logon only in Intranet zone.

I don't think this is safe to do:
The default setting is to have it send username/pwd "only in intranet zone"

In fact if I don't trust my intranet servers and other PCs I'd go to the
intranet zone and also change settings there on which sites are considered
my Intranet to limit those (uncheck all 3 checkboxes there at the "Sites..."
button's dialog at the Intranet zone). Plus I set Intranet zone to Medium
security and I do the same to Internet and Trusted sites zones (don't trust
any)

At least the above seem to be unrelated to my problem with ASP.net debugging

George Birbilis <[email protected]>
+ QuickTime VCL and ActiveX controls (for PowerPoint/VB/Delphi etc.)
+ Plugs VCL and ActiveX controls (InterProcess/Internet communication)
+ TransFormations, VB6 forms to ASP.net WebForms convertion
http://www.kagi.com/birbilis
+ Robotics
http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~robgroup