Cannot execute a program. (C# Web app error)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chris, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I posted this in the C# language group, then thought it
    might be more appropriate in this group. I would not
    cross-post except I want the answer so badly.

    I built small C# Web and Web Service applications in a
    training class last week. The applications worked in the
    class, but when I tried to run them again over the
    weekend, they both bombed. Instead of getting my Web
    page, or the Web Service page, I get a page full of error
    text (below).

    I am hoping the anwser will be obvious to someone.

    I've tried a few things to address the problem, including
    adding an "impersonator" identity to machine.config, and
    web.config, and trying to figure out how the
    PublicKeyToken works. Neither has led to success.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Error text:

    Server Error in '/Order System Web CSharp' Application.
    ----------------------

    Cannot execute a program. The command being executed
    was "c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322
    \csc.exe" /noconfig
    @"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary
    ASP.NET Files\order system web csharp\8ca5eae6\8a7b6687
    \bjwjj_c0.cmdline".
    compilation using the
    CodeDomProvider 'Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider'.
    Please review the stack trace for more information about

    Exception Details:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: Cannot
    execute a program. The command being executed
    was "c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322
    \csc.exe" /noconfig
    @"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary
    ASP.NET Files\order system web csharp\8ca5eae6\8a7b6687
    \bjwjj_c0.cmdline".

    Source Error:

    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution
    of the current web request. Information regarding the
    origin and location of the exception can be identified
    using the exception stack trace below.

    Stack Trace:

    [ExternalException (0x5): Cannot execute a program. The
    command being executed
    was "c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322
    \csc.exe" /noconfig
    @"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary
    ASP.NET Files\order system web csharp\8ca5eae6\8a7b6687
    \bjwjj_c0.cmdline".]
    System.CodeDom.Compiler.Executor.ExecWaitWithCaptureUnimpe
    rsonated(IntPtr userToken, String cmd, String currentDir,
    TempFileCollection tempFiles, String& outputName, String&
    errorName, String trueCmdLine) +2050
    System.CodeDom.Compiler.Executor.ExecWaitWithCapture
    (IntPtr userToken, String cmd, String currentDir,
    TempFileCollection tempFiles, String& outputName, String&
    errorName, String trueCmdLine) +260
    System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.Compile
    (CompilerParameters options, String compilerDirectory,
    String compilerExe, String arguments, String& outputFile,
    Int32& nativeReturnValue, String trueArgs) +383
    System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.FromFileBatch
    (CompilerParameters options, String[] fileNames) +548
    System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.FromDomBatch
    (CompilerParameters options, CodeCompileUnit[] ea) +428
    System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.FromDom
    (CompilerParameters options, CodeCompileUnit e) +90
    System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.System.CodeDom.Compil
    er.ICodeCompiler.CompileAssemblyFromDom
    (CompilerParameters options, CodeCompileUnit e) +37
    System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.GetCompiledType() +227

    ----------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573
    ..
    Chris, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Chris

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    Is your compiler functioning correctly? write a small test app and compile
    it, see if that works first.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney, Nov 26, 2003

  3. Chris

    Guest Guest

    I believe that the compiler is functioning correctly. It
    returns no errors when building either the Web apps or
    the Windows Forms apps. However, the Windows Forms apps
    still work on my system.

    Thanks for your reply,
    Chris

    ---

    Guest, Nov 26, 2003
  4. you have to add execution rights to the ASPNET account on the .exe you want
    to execute from your application (right click the .exe [if using NTFS
    filesystem] and select "Security" tab, add ASPNET user and give Execute
    right to him on that file)

    btw, since a web service or website is running as a service, make sure your
    ..exe doesn't try to popup dialogs etc. (can use a command-line/console app
    instead and even override its output/error streams to send them to some log
    of yours)

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    George Birbilis <>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + QuickTime VCL and ActiveX controls (for PowerPoint/VB/Delphi etc.)
    + Plugs VCL and ActiveX controls (InterProcess/Internet communication)
    + TransFormations, VB6 forms to ASP.net WebForms convertion
    http://www.kagi.com/birbilis
    + Robotics
    http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~robgroup

    George Birbilis, Nov 26, 2003
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Right. It was a question of permissions. There wan't only
    one exe file involve though, I had to give read, write,
    and execute permissions to ASPNET throughout the
    Microsoft.Net\Framework directory.

    However, I still wonder how the application could have
    worked and then stopped working. I know I did not change
    these permissions before it started to fail.

    Thanks,
    Chris

    ---
    >> ---

    >> \Temporary

    \8a7b6687

    CodeDomProvider 'Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider'.

    >> about

    >> Cannot

    >> \Temporary

    \8a7b6687

    >> execution

    the

    identified

    The

    >> \Temporary

    \8a7b6687

    System.CodeDom.Compiler.Executor.ExecWaitWithCaptureUnimpe

    >> currentDir,

    >> String&

    >> String&

    compilerDirectory,

    >> outputFile,

    +548

    +428

    System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeCompiler.System.CodeDom.Compil

    ()
    >> +227

    ---

    Chris, Nov 27, 2003