"Cannot execute a program" error: vbc.exe

Mary Kerrigan

I'm tearing out my freakin' hair on this one. Trying to deploy an
ASP.NET site on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server. The framework
v1.0.3705 was already installed, not by me. When I tried to get to a
page that accesses data, I get this error, that begins with:

"Cannot execute a program. The command being executed was
"c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\vbc.exe"..."

I have searched and searched but could find no solution. I have
another machine where this IS working and I've tried to duplicate the
settings but to no avail. The ASPNET account was active and had the
correct permissions to the directories in the Microsoft.NET folder.
The ASPNET State service is running (I have no idea if that makes a
difference in this case). Everything is the same. I have uninstalled
and reinstalled v1.0.3705 including Service Pack 3, while logged on to
the machine as the machine's administrator. Still get the same
problem.

Can anyone help, please?????