Cannot find main class

Ike

I have a client who has two jar files, Hydroline.jar and LiquidLnF.jar, in a
directory on WinXP machine. when he goes to that directory, and enters at a
DOS prompt:

javaw -cp Hydroline.jar;LiquidLnF.jar HydroLine.HydroLine

He gets a dialog box that says "Java Virtual Machine Loader.....Could not
find the main class. Program will exit."

The main class is HydroLine.HydroLine, as specified in the HydroLine.jar's
manifest file. Additionally, the class HydroLine.HydroLine is in that jar
file.

When I go to run this on my machine, it works fine. Anyone have any ideas
what might be the problem here? Thanks. -Ike

Manish Pandit

I have a client who has two jar files, Hydroline.jar and LiquidLnF.jar, in a
directory on WinXP machine. when he goes to that directory, and enters at a
DOS prompt:

javaw -cp Hydroline.jar;LiquidLnF.jar HydroLine.HydroLine

He gets a dialog box that says "Java Virtual Machine Loader.....Could not
find the main class. Program will exit."

The main class is HydroLine.HydroLine, as specified in the HydroLine.jar's
manifest file. Additionally, the class HydroLine.HydroLine is in that jar
file.

When I go to run this on my machine, it works fine. Anyone have any ideas
what might be the problem here? Thanks. -Ike

Can you try:

java -jar HydroLine.jar ?

-cheers,
Manish

Oliver Wong

Ike said:
I have a client who has two jar files, Hydroline.jar and LiquidLnF.jar, in
a directory on WinXP machine. when he goes to that directory, and enters
at a DOS prompt:

javaw -cp Hydroline.jar;LiquidLnF.jar HydroLine.HydroLine

He gets a dialog box that says "Java Virtual Machine Loader.....Could not
find the main class. Program will exit."

The main class is HydroLine.HydroLine, as specified in the HydroLine.jar's
manifest file. Additionally, the class HydroLine.HydroLine is in that jar
file.

When I go to run this on my machine, it works fine. Anyone have any ideas
what might be the problem here? Thanks. -Ike

I think the recommended way of running an application in a jar is to use
the "-jar" flag, as in "java -jar Hydroline.jar". The Hydronline.jar's
manifest file would specify the main class, and any other jar it depends on
(i.e. the LiquidLnF.jar). See
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/deployment/jar/run.html

- Oliver

Knute Johnson

Ike said:
I have a client who has two jar files, Hydroline.jar and LiquidLnF.jar, in a
directory on WinXP machine. when he goes to that directory, and enters at a
DOS prompt:

javaw -cp Hydroline.jar;LiquidLnF.jar HydroLine.HydroLine

He gets a dialog box that says "Java Virtual Machine Loader.....Could not
find the main class. Program will exit."

The main class is HydroLine.HydroLine, as specified in the HydroLine.jar's
manifest file. Additionally, the class HydroLine.HydroLine is in that jar
file.

When I go to run this on my machine, it works fine. Anyone have any ideas
what might be the problem here? Thanks. -Ike

-cp and -jar are mutually exclusive and -jar has priority. You cannot
specify a classpath with the -cp option if you specify the -jar option.
All classpath arguments must be in the manifest file for jarred
applications.