cannot find symbol?

Discussion in 'Java' started by qwertmonkey@syberianoutpost.ru, May 4, 2013.

  1. Guest

    ~
    >What is "such a thing?" What are you even *trying* to do? You can't
    >call "getCtxtDTO" on an object that only defines the methods "setCtxt"
    >and "toString".

    ~
    my mistake. I (quickly and wrongly) replaced some of the text while editing my
    own post
    ~
    Take a look at my initial posting. DTO_T_Ctxt06 and Ho3K are just mock objects
    created in method "verifyCtxt" in class DTO_T_Ctxt, which I get as Data Transfer
    Objects
    ~
    > qwertmonkey has been told many times, but like Stefan Ram, he ignores all
    > posts relating to his horrid coding style, and since people still help him,
    > he probably just sees no need.

    ~
    Joerg I usually don't talk to politicians/people with "political" qualms,
    specially if they, not only assume some evil intention in your ways, but talk
    from a "Godly" prescribing point of view, defending/standing for "we the people"
    ~
    It may relate to the fact that I am a teacher (so I am conditioned to be
    lenient about people's ways) and researcher myself in consciousness studies/
    neurobiology: I don't think that everyone should be right-handed or act and
    "think" in a certain ways even if "the majority" does
    ~
    I have read and worked on -really- badly worded, formatted code. At the
    end of the day it is primarily "on the eyes of the compiler" determining what is
    kosher or not to itself
    ~
    Haven't you heard the joke about how an engineer a physicist and a mathematician
    fight a fire?
    ~
    For example, unnecessary noises bother the hell out of me, but when I notice,
    say, a woman (and they love those kinds of things!) walking on a wooden floor
    with really noisy hard sole high heels. I keep my annoyance within myself and
    don't extrapolate my own thinking into believing they are evil or the alignment
    of stars in heaven will be altered because of that, nor would I disrespect or
    mistreat them in any way
    ~
    > What he may not know is that while some people help him, others don't.

    ~
    ... the bad part about that being?
    ~
    This is a fact of life regarding all matters and ultimately you do get at
    things -your- way. In fact, I see the good in "politicians" not liking "me"
    ~
    lbrtchx
    , May 4, 2013

  2. Daniel Pitts Guest

    On 5/4/13 6:51 AM, wrote:
    >>> class Ho3K{
    >>> private String aS;
    >>> Ho3K(){}
    >>> public void setCtxt(String aS){ this.aS = aS; }
    >>> public String toString(){ return(" aS: |" + aS + "|"); }
    >>> System.err.println("// __ Ho3.getCtxtDTO() : |" + Ho3.getCtxtDTO() + "|");
    >>> How do you do such a thing?

    > ~
    >> What is "such a thing?" What are you even *trying* to do? You can't
    >> call "getCtxtDTO" on an object that only defines the methods "setCtxt"
    >> and "toString".

    > ~
    > my mistake. I (quickly and wrongly) replaced some of the text while editing my
    > own post
    > ~
    > Take a look at my initial posting. DTO_T_Ctxt06 and Ho3K are just mock objects
    > created in method "verifyCtxt" in class DTO_T_Ctxt, which I get as Data Transfer
    > Objects

    I posted the solution. Use interfaces. There are no such things as C++
    style templates in Java. You need to use interfaces. Is there a reason
    my solution isn't acceptable to you?

    > ~
    >> qwertmonkey has been told many times, but like Stefan Ram, he ignores all
    >> posts relating to his horrid coding style, and since people still help him,
    >> he probably just sees no need.

    > ~
    > Joerg I usually don't talk to politicians/people with "political" qualms,
    > specially if they, not only assume some evil intention in your ways, but talk
    > from a "Godly" prescribing point of view, defending/standing for "we the people"
    > ~
    > It may relate to the fact that I am a teacher (so I am conditioned to be
    > lenient about people's ways) and researcher myself in consciousness studies/
    > neurobiology: I don't think that everyone should be right-handed or act and
    > "think" in a certain ways even if "the majority" does
    > ~
    > I have read and worked on -really- badly worded, formatted code. At the
    > end of the day it is primarily "on the eyes of the compiler" determining what is
    > kosher or not to itself

    Not entirely. It is primarily the eyes of colleagues which need to
    modify the behavior of the code. The compiler, while less forgiving for
    syntax, is completely forgiving of semantics. Humans are the opposite,
    and in fact that is the trait which we need. The syntax of a program can
    interfere with understanding the semantics of it. This is why you find
    less help. Why do you ignore the help you do get?
    > ~
    > Haven't you heard the joke about how an engineer a physicist and a mathematician
    > fight a fire?

    No, I haven't.
    > ~
    > For example, unnecessary noises bother the hell out of me, but when I notice,
    > say, a woman (and they love those kinds of things!) walking on a wooden floor
    > with really noisy hard sole high heels. I keep my annoyance within myself and
    > don't extrapolate my own thinking into believing they are evil or the alignment
    > of stars in heaven will be altered because of that, nor would I disrespect or
    > mistreat them in any way

    I would imagine you invite them over less often than you do less noisy
    women.
    > ~
    >> What he may not know is that while some people help him, others don't.

    > ~
    > ... the bad part about that being?

    Higher noise to signal ratio for your answers.
    > ~
    > This is a fact of life regarding all matters and ultimately you do get at
    > things -your- way. In fact, I see the good in "politicians" not liking "me"

    There is a difference between politics and social acceptability. As a
    hiring manager, if you presented this code to me, I would not hire you.
    If somehow you got hired where I worked and I saw you made this code,
    I would do whatever I could to get you fired. This code costs at least
    10 times as much as any more conventional equivalent.

    I would do this regardless of the type of job you were hired to do.
    Research, enterprise, embedded, teaching. Especially teaching. It would
    not be a personal judgement against you, but a value judgement against
    what you contribute.

    On an unrelated note, it would be more polite of you to follow standard
    usenet protocol for replying to messages. Keeping the thread in one
    place makes it easier for me to follow along. However you reply now, it
    splits the thread into multiple. Maybe you need a different news reader.
    Daniel Pitts, May 4, 2013

  3. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 5/4/2013 9:51 AM, wrote:
    >> qwertmonkey has been told many times, but like Stefan Ram, he ignores all
    >> posts relating to his horrid coding style, and since people still help him,
    >> he probably just sees no need.

    > ~
    > Joerg I usually don't talk to politicians/people with "political" qualms,
    > specially if they, not only assume some evil intention in your ways, but talk
    > from a "Godly" prescribing point of view, defending/standing for "we the people"
    > ~
    > It may relate to the fact that I am a teacher (so I am conditioned to be
    > lenient about people's ways) and researcher myself in consciousness studies/
    > neurobiology: I don't think that everyone should be right-handed or act and
    > "think" in a certain ways even if "the majority" does

    You are missing the point.

    There is not one coding style that is better than all other.

    But there are huge objective benefits of everybody using the same
    or at least very similar coding style.

    It is simple faster to read and understand code in a familiar coding
    style.

    So a better analogy is that:
    - everybody driving at right side of the road or everybody driving at
    the left side of the road are equally good
    - both are a lot better than some driving at right side of the road and
    some driving at the left side of the road

    So either convince a few million Java developers to follow your style
    or bite the bullet and use their style.

    > I have read and worked on -really- badly worded, formatted code. At the
    > end of the day it is primarily "on the eyes of the compiler" determining what is
    > kosher or not to itself

    No no no.

    Not all code that work are equally good.

    Ease of maintenance is a primary goal in creating software.

    > For example, unnecessary noises bother the hell out of me, but when I notice,
    > say, a woman (and they love those kinds of things!) walking on a wooden floor
    > with really noisy hard sole high heels. I keep my annoyance within myself and
    > don't extrapolate my own thinking into believing they are evil or the alignment
    > of stars in heaven will be altered because of that, nor would I disrespect or
    > mistreat them in any way

    But you may (and you should) consider her less suited for a job where
    making little noise is necessary.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 5, 2013
  4. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 5/4/2013 9:51 AM, wrote:
    > For example, unnecessary noises bother the hell out of me, but when I notice,
    > say, a woman (and they love those kinds of things!) walking on a wooden floor
    > with really noisy hard sole high heels. I keep my annoyance within myself and
    > don't extrapolate my own thinking into believing they are evil or the alignment
    > of stars in heaven will be altered because of that, nor would I disrespect or
    > mistreat them in any way

    And besides in this context I would argue that it is you that are
    being impolite.

    You want people to spend time for free on helping them with your
    problem, but you don't want to spend the time making it easy
    for them by making the code (and the post in general) easy to
    read.

    That is pretty rude behavior.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 5, 2013
  5. Lew Guest

    On Saturday, May 4, 2013 6:51:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:

    Please do not omit attributions, monkey.

    [ Joerg Meier wrote: ]
    >> qwertmonkey has been told many times, but like Stefan Ram, he ignores all
    >> posts relating to his horrid coding style, and since people still help him,
    >> he probably just sees no need.

    > Joerg I usually don't talk to politicians/people with "political" qualms,

    What does that have to do with anything?

    > specially if they, not only assume some evil intention in your ways, but talk

    Again, relevance?

    > from a "Godly" prescribing point of view, defending/standing for "we the people"

    You've been advised about widespread and widely-adopted conventions.
    Why the piss-ant attitude?

    > It may relate to the fact that I am a teacher (so I am conditioned to be

    Must be a real winner of a teacher with that attitude.

    > lenient about people's ways) and researcher myself in consciousness studies/
    > neurobiology: I don't think that everyone should be right-handed or act and
    > "think" in a certain ways even if "the majority" does

    Again, how is that relevant? Society has conventions. You, apparently, are sociopathic.

    > I have read and worked on -really- badly worded, formatted code. At the
    > end of the day it is primarily "on the eyes of the compiler" determining what is
    > kosher or not to itself

    You are writing to *people* for help. If the compiler sufficed, you'd not need to post here.

    > This is a fact of life regarding all matters and ultimately you do get at
    > things -your- way. In fact, I see the good in "politicians" not liking "me"

    You are just wasting people's time.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, May 6, 2013
  6. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 5/6/2013 4:12 PM, Lew wrote:
    > On Saturday, May 4, 2013 6:51:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:
    >> lenient about people's ways) and researcher myself in consciousness studies/
    >> neurobiology: I don't think that everyone should be right-handed or act and
    >> "think" in a certain ways even if "the majority" does

    > Again, how is that relevant? Society has conventions. You, apparently, are sociopathic.

    Maybe it is time to enjoy the good spring weather?!?!

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 7, 2013