Cannot open file in virtual directory defined via share

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by JJA, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. JJA

    JJA Guest

    I have 2 web servers both running win server 2003 with iis 6.0. On my
    PROD server I have a virtual directory called CONV. It points to a
    folder on the C drive of this PROD server.

    On my TEST server, I defined a virtual directory called CONV. It points
    to a share called \\prodservername\CONV. Note that the share name is
    the same name as that of the virtual directory.

    Using IIS on the TEST server, I can navigate to this CONV virtual
    directory and via right mouse, click EXPLORE. I see all the content I
    should but when I try to doubleclick on a file I get a message saying
    "Security alert" - "your current security settings do not allow you to
    perform system commands on this item".

    I've tried everything I can think of on the security settings for the
    physical folder on the PROD server. I extended EVERYONE from READ, etc.
    to FULL CONTROL. I added the user called INTERACTIVE and gave it full
    control. In short, I am stumped and guessing now.

    Basically, I just want to avoid duplicating all the data files on my
    PROD server over to my TEST server. Thanks in advance for trying to
    help me.
    JJA, Mar 10, 2005

  2. JJA

    JJA Guest

    Can someone please try to help on this?
    JJA, Mar 23, 2005

  3. JJA

    JJA Guest

    Does anyone think this should be posted to a different group?
    JJA, Apr 14, 2005