Cannot open my asp.net application in vs.net

Guest

Hello to all,
Please help me with the following issue :
I am using win2k xp professional.
IIS is very much installed.
registered asp.net by aspnet_regiis -i and restarted iis using iisreset
still getting the same error.

Visual studio cannot create or open the application because no web server
was detected at this URL: 'http://localhost/WebApplication1'.Make sure the
server is installed and running.

Scott M.

What happens if you simply open your browser and navigate to
http://localhost?

Are you using Win2K or XP Pro. (there is no such thing as Win2K XP Pro.)?

Did you already create an ASP.NET solution/project called WebApplication1?
If so, how?

sloan

There are 2 kinda common issues.

Go into IIS, find the directory. Right-click/ Properties.

Make sure the "application" is created. If the "Create" button on the first
tab is enabled, then you don't have it created.

Find the .webinfo file (or something like that)

It has to be a perfect match to where the file actually end up.
This is usually an issue where you download some code, and the person
orginally had it at like

localhost/MyProject/
(c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyProject\)

and you unzip it somewhere/anywhere else.

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyFiles\MyStuff\CodeSample1\

something like that.
you'd have to update your .webinfo file to match where you put it.

Scott M.

You shouldn't need to go into IIS at all.

If the project was downloaded, you can put it anywhere on your hard drive
you like. You just need to right click on that folder (assuming it is not
in the IIS directory structure) and choose to web share the folder. Then
just go into VS.NET and create a new web project at the virtual address.