    Anyone any idea why this is so?

    Regards
    John

    John, Mar 17, 2008

  2. John wrote:
    > This is odd. I can post to this newsgroup but not to perl.beginners.
    >
    > Anyone any idea why this is so?

    This is a Usenet newsgroup. perl.beginners is a mailing list. Go to
    this URL to subscribe:

    http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=beginners

    John
    in short order. -- Larry Wall

    John W. Krahn, Mar 17, 2008

  3. John

    Peter Scott Guest

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:17:31 -0500, Tad J McClellan wrote:
    > John <> wrote:
    >> This is odd. I can post to this newsgroup but not to perl.beginners.

    > perl.beginners is not a newsgroup, it is a mailing list (with, perhaps,
    > a mail-to-news gateway?).
    >
    >> Anyone any idea why this is so?

    > You will need to ask your ISP how to treat it as a newsgroup,
    > or use it in a mailing list fashion.

    perl.beginners is bidirectionally gatewayed to a newsgroup, I access it
    and all the perl.org mailing lists thus. The NNTP server is
    nntp,perl.org; see http://www.nntp.perl.org/about/ . An ISP isn't likely
    to know this.

    --
    Peter Scott
    http://www.perlmedic.com/

    Peter Scott, Mar 18, 2008
  4. John

    Steve K. Guest

    Abigail wrote:
    > _
    > John () wrote on VCCCXII September MCMXCIII in
    > <URL:news:frmg3e$1pk$>:
    > ~~ This is odd. I can post to this newsgroup but not to
    > perl.beginners. ~~
    > ~~ Anyone any idea why this is so?
    >

    > Are you using Net::NNTP? If so, what error message do you get?
    > Are you sure it's a Perl problem? Do you really think this is
    > the place to complain, and not your provider?

    1) This question is pertaining to related forums for this news groups
    central topic, Perl. This type of question has always been perfectly
    valid.

    2) Not everyone is as accustomed to usenet as you may be. Bet you never
    stop to think about that.

    3) Why is it you cannot normal quote characters that practically the
    rest of usenet has deemed the de-facto standard quote character? You
    want to be different? Fine. Please do it in a way that doesn't annoy the
    living piss out of people.

    Steve K., Mar 21, 2008
  5. Steve K. wrote:

    > 2) Not everyone is as accustomed to usenet as you may be. Bet you never
    > stop to think about that.

    In a more civilised age of Usenet, unaccustomed users were recommended to
    get accustomed to the conventions before posting...

    Rosie

    --
    Currently Reading: INDRIÄASON, ARNALDUR: Silence of the Grave (Grafarpögn)
    Bye bye Livejournal - keep up with my wibblings at Enitharmon's Cave:

    Rosalind Mitchell, Mar 21, 2008
  6. John

    Steve K. Guest

    Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
    > Steve K. wrote:
    >
    >> 2) Not everyone is as accustomed to usenet as you may be. Bet you
    >> never stop to think about that.

    > In a more civilised age of Usenet, unaccustomed users were
    > recommended to get accustomed to the conventions before posting...

    I agree, but at the same time, it is also a bit of a catch-22... someone
    who just started using Usenet would obviously be unaware of many way of
    doing things, and in the best cases, they are directed to the proper
    documentation (like the posting guidelines and faq for this group for
    example.) The problem is when people assume people should be first
    coming onto Usenet already knowing everything you know about
    'netiquette' and I really don't think it's fair. It's like expecting a
    2nd grader to know algebra... possible, perhaps, but unlikely and
    completely unfair to assume.

    Steve K., Mar 21, 2008