cannot post message to perl beginners

John

This is odd. I can post to this newsgroup but not to perl.beginners.

Anyone any idea why this is so?

Regards
John

Peter Scott

perl.beginners is not a newsgroup, it is a mailing list (with, perhaps,
a mail-to-news gateway?).

You will need to ask your ISP how to treat it as a newsgroup,
or use it in a mailing list fashion.

perl.beginners is bidirectionally gatewayed to a newsgroup, I access it
and all the perl.org mailing lists thus. The NNTP server is
nntp,perl.org; see http://www.nntp.perl.org/about/ . An ISP isn't likely
to know this.

Steve K.

Abigail said:
_
John ([email protected]) wrote on VCCCXII September MCMXCIII in
<URL:~~ This is odd. I can post to this newsgroup but not to
perl.beginners. ~~
~~ Anyone any idea why this is so?

Are you using Net::NNTP? If so, what error message do you get?
Are you sure it's a Perl problem? Do you really think this is
the place to complain, and not your provider?

1) This question is pertaining to related forums for this news groups
central topic, Perl. This type of question has always been perfectly
valid.

2) Not everyone is as accustomed to usenet as you may be. Bet you never
stop to think about that.

3) Why is it you cannot normal quote characters that practically the
rest of usenet has deemed the de-facto standard quote character? You
want to be different? Fine. Please do it in a way that doesn't annoy the
living piss out of people.

Rosalind Mitchell

Steve said:
2) Not everyone is as accustomed to usenet as you may be. Bet you never
stop to think about that.

In a more civilised age of Usenet, unaccustomed users were recommended to
get accustomed to the conventions before posting...

Rosie

Steve K.

Rosalind said:
In a more civilised age of Usenet, unaccustomed users were
recommended to get accustomed to the conventions before posting...

I agree, but at the same time, it is also a bit of a catch-22... someone
who just started using Usenet would obviously be unaware of many way of
doing things, and in the best cases, they are directed to the proper
documentation (like the posting guidelines and faq for this group for
example.) The problem is when people assume people should be first
coming onto Usenet already knowing everything you know about
'netiquette' and I really don't think it's fair. It's like expecting a
2nd grader to know algebra... possible, perhaps, but unlikely and
completely unfair to assume.