    Python with the Control Panel ?Add/Remove icon. Worked fine. When I try
    to remove any of the remaining libs, press the add/remove button does
    nothing but blink. How do I get around this problem?
    W. eWatson, Dec 22, 2011

  2. On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:53:04 -0800, "W. eWatson"
    <> wrote:

    >I have three py libs and the python program itself, 2.52, installed on
    >an 6 year old HP Laptop. I decided to remove them, and took removed
    >Python with the Control Panel ?Add/Remove icon. Worked fine. When I try
    >to remove any of the remaining libs, press the add/remove button does
    >nothing but blink. How do I get around this problem?

    It would probably have been better to remove the libraries first
    (especially if their installers /used/ Python to do the install; the
    uninstaller would then likely also have used that version of Python). In
    short, uninstalling a set of related packages should be done in the
    reverse order of how they were installed.

    If you don't have anything private stored in the remains of the
    Python2.5.2 install directory... Just delete the entire directory tree
    (which should get rid of any left-over files from the other libraries).

    Removing them from the Add/Remove control might be achieved by using
    a registry cleaner; if not, manually scanning the registry for those
    package names and deleting the registry keys may suffice (back up the
    registry first -- export everything from the top down). Then run a
    registry cleaner, as there may be stray GUID keys that eventually mapped
    to the deleted keys.

    Lets see.... {booting even older WinXP laptop -- I'm using a Win7
    laptop with data-card for current online activity}

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\...

    Look for the particular packages (and anything else you may also
    have removed just in case something got left behind) and delete the
    keys. (Interesting -- I have an entry for wxPython, but no entry for
    Python or ActiveState... They may be stuffed elsewhere -- I also seem to
    have a corrupted search path; maybe happened last time I tried using the
    laptop to debug one of your queries; Pythonwin isn't finding win32ui)

    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Dec 22, 2011

  3. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    On 12/22/2011 1:21 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:53:04 -0800, "W. eWatson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have three py libs and the python program itself, 2.52, installed on
    >> an 6 year old HP Laptop. I decided to remove them, and took removed
    >> Python with the Control Panel ?Add/Remove icon. Worked fine. When I try
    >> to remove any of the remaining libs, press the add/remove button does
    >> nothing but blink. How do I get around this problem?

    > It would probably have been better to remove the libraries first
    > (especially if their installers /used/ Python to do the install; the
    > uninstaller would then likely also have used that version of Python). In
    > short, uninstalling a set of related packages should be done in the
    > reverse order of how they were installed.
    >
    > If you don't have anything private stored in the remains of the
    > Python2.5.2 install directory... Just delete the entire directory tree
    > (which should get rid of any left-over files from the other libraries).
    >
    > Removing them from the Add/Remove control might be achieved by using
    > a registry cleaner; if not, manually scanning the registry for those
    > package names and deleting the registry keys may suffice (back up the
    > registry first -- export everything from the top down). Then run a
    > registry cleaner, as there may be stray GUID keys that eventually mapped
    > to the deleted keys.
    >
    > Lets see.... {booting even older WinXP laptop -- I'm using a Win7
    > laptop with data-card for current online activity}
    >
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\...
    >
    > Look for the particular packages (and anything else you may also
    > have removed just in case something got left behind) and delete the
    > keys. (Interesting -- I have an entry for wxPython, but no entry for
    > Python or ActiveState... They may be stuffed elsewhere -- I also seem to
    > have a corrupted search path; maybe happened last time I tried using the
    > laptop to debug one of your queries; Pythonwin isn't finding win32ui)

    I think this turns out to be something of a laugher. I did re-install
    Python 2.5.2; however, the action was similar when I tried to remove the
    libs. I happened to move the screen slightly, and noticed a small hidden
    dialog behind the Add/Remove screen with a message in it. "Are you sure
    you want to remove this program?". Argh. How foolish it was to hide
    that simple dialog. So hitting the add/remove button repeatedly really
    was useless.
    W. eWatson, Dec 23, 2011