Cannot replace DLL - old version reappears

Bazza Formez

Greetings...

I have an odd problem to do with replacing a DLL.

My ASP.NET application makes use of a 3rd party charting component.
This component is supplied as a DLL file.

The component has worked well for us, but now I am having real problems
trying to replace the DLL with a new version.

To implement on my development machine, I am simply attempting to copy
the new version into the bin directory after deleting the old version.
However, everytime I run the application (or when I restart Visual
Studio I think)... magically the old version of the DLL is copied into
the bin directory over my new version.

Even if I completely delete all versions of the DLL from the bin
directory... somehow the old DLL reappears !

I saw somewhere that you have to be careful to rename old backups such
that they don't have a DLL extension .. but I don't even have a backup
in the directory.

Am I missing some basic knowledge here to do with .NET DLL
implementation ?

Can anyone please help ?

Thank you ,

Bazza

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

See if the old version is still here:

C:\WINDOWS\assembly

and remove it

I had this problem with Syncfusion components.

Guest

When you add a reference to a third-party assembly in your VS.Net project you
can specify whether the assembly should be copied locally every time you
compile your project or not. Right-mouse click on the assembly in the
references, then in the properties window either change the path to the new
version's path or set the "Copy Local" property to False.

Bazza Formez

Thanks for that Phillip...
I checked the property of the DLL in references.. and yes, copy local
was set to true. But the path to the DLL was correctly pointing at
where the new version of the DLL was anyway.
(BTW What does this local copy flag mean actually ? Copy from where &
to where ?).

I eventually managed to solve the problem by deleting other occurrences
of the DLL on my machine ... problem ones seemed to be in some temp
directories used by IIS.

Bazza.