Cannot send email using SMTP

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bob Jones, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Bob Jones

    Bob Jones Guest

    We have developed a commercial ASP.net application
    (personal nutrition management and tracking); we want to
    send smtp email from within it.

    For our development box, we use WinXP Pro, IIS 5.5,
    VisualStudio2002, VB as programing language. Our
    test/development version of the web app as hosted on
    our "localhost" works fine; our "Default SMTP Virtual
    Server" is running (per the IIS console).

    Our simple test page (EmailTest.aspx)is in a separate
    project, has only a single button and we are trying to
    use the following code on the EmailTest.aspx.vb:

    Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object,
    ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

    Dim OK As New Mail.MailMessage()
    OK.From = ""
    OK.Subject = "Test"
    OK.Body = "Trying To Send Email"
    OK.To = ""
    Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "localhost"

    Mail.SmtpMail.Send(OK)

    End Sub

    The line Mail.SmtpMail.Send(OK) always throws an
    exception; we always get this error:

    The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The
    server response was: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
    .

    It does not matter who the recipient is, either. We are
    connected to the internet via DSL. Otherwise, everything
    else related to our stuff seems to work perfectly.

    Have spent way too many man hours researching help files,
    MSDN KnowledgeBase, etc. No luck. I am sure we are
    doing soming wrong, but have no idea what.

    Our only prior experience with email code has been with
    MS Access using VBA. We know this is our mistake, just do
    not know how to help ourselves. Also, the web app is our
    first try using ASP.net, etc. Generally, the app works
    works great!

    Can anyone please help; or provide a good example we can
    follow?

    FYI, our web site is http://www.cookbookplus.com

    If curious, you can see the app using
    the "CookBookPlusOnTheWeb" link on the home page.

    Or use
    http://www.cookbookplus.com/CookBookPlusOnTheWeb/LogInWeb.
    aspx for a direct link.

    The app is hosted on a Windows Server 2003 system so
    whatever we do must work with IIS 6 when we deploy.

    Thank you.
    Bob Jones

    4106267564
    Bob Jones, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Bob Jones

    George Durzi Guest

    what happens if you change
    Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "localhost"
    Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
    being the IP address

    Also, I am running an IIS server that uses SMTP to send email in an
    evironment where there is an exchange server. We had to setup something in
    the exchange server to allow the IIS email to send SMTP mail.

    I think that might be your issue.

    George Durzi, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Bob Jones

    Bob Jones Guest

    Hi George,

    Thanks for the reply; but no luck.

    Tried using our IP instead of "localhost"; get this error
    instead: The transport failed to connect to the server.

    No Exchange Server involvement here possible either as we
    do not use it at all.

    I still need help.

    Bob

    Bob Jones, Aug 7, 2003
  4. "mail.yourSMTPDomainNameHere.com"
    "smtp.yourSMTPDomainNameHere.com"

    or try blank ""

    MS News \(MS LVP\), Aug 7, 2003
  5. Bob Jones

    George Durzi Guest

    check every folder in your \inetpub\mailroot directory.
    Is the message getting stuck there?

    George Durzi, Aug 7, 2003
  6. From: or .net or .xxx

    MS News \(MS LVP\), Aug 7, 2003
  7. Bob Jones

    Bob Jones Guest

    Using "" generates this error: The "SendUsing"
    configuration value is invalid.

    Using anything other than "localhost" will generate the
    failed to connect...error msg

    Thanks for trying; still at a loss.

    Bob

    Bob Jones, Aug 7, 2003
  8. Bob Jones

    Bob Jones Guest

    Hi Michal,

    You are a genius!

    Got it to work. FINALLY

    Life is beautiful again...

    Is this information written down anywhere I could have
    located it.

    Thank you very much.

    Bob

    messages, which is
    >default setting on IIS6.
    >
    >Go to the SMTP virtualserver properties and allow relay

    for IP address
    >127.0.0.1 (localhost) and all other IPs you want to be

    able to relay (ie.

    http://www.altaircom.net

    http://www.rider.cz

    Bob Jones, Aug 8, 2003