Cannot serialize object of type System.Object[,]. Multidimensional arrays are not supported

john harkin

Hi,
Thanks very much for this and it worked.
I'm actually need to retun an object which could contain object[][].
One thing i notice

[WebMethod]
public object ReturnJaggedArrayAsObject()
{
object[][] numbers = new object[2][] { new object[] {2,"string1",
24.56}, new object[] {4,"string2", 56.78} };
object a = (object) numbers;
return a;

}

didn't work and got a serialisation error but when i added

[WebMethod]
public object[][] Fred()
{
object[][] numbers = new object[2][] { new object[] {2,"string1",
24.56}, new object[] {4,"string2", 56.78} };

return numbers;

}

to the source file i was able to call ReturnJaggedArrayAsObject.
It appears that by having Fred it knows about object[][] in wsdl.
Any way of achieving this without defining Fred?

Regards

Christoph Schittko said:
You can return jagged arrays, i.e.

System.Object[][] instead of System.Object[,].

HTH,
Christoph Schittko
MVP XML
http://weblogs.asp.net/cschittko