    C:/hello world/test.txt.

    <input type="file" name="fileName" value="C:/hello world/test.txt" size=80>

    Any ideas? and workarounds to this problem? thanks!!

    Matt, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Matt

    brucie Guest

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html#value

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 16, 2004

  3. While the city slept, brucie () feverishly typed...

    > In alt.html Matt said:
    >
    >> If I do the following, the browse text box still cannot see
    >> C:/hello world/test.txt.
    >> <input type="file" name="fileName" value="C:/hello world/test.txt"
    >> size=80>

    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html#value

    Interesting article.

    I considered using something like this on a site I was recently working on.
    The users can post memo's to be viewed by other users, and they can upload
    an "attached" file to go with it. The user has the option to modify any
    memo's they have posted, and I originally thought it could be useful to
    populate the file input field with the original file they uploaded. Then I
    realised that - apart from any other considerations - the original file
    could quite easily have been moved from its previous location, or even
    deleted altogether. Furthermore, it could have been modified into a version
    they don't want to share, and would then be uploaded against their will
    unless they specifically removed it. Quickly decided it would be a much
    better idea to just let the user select which file they want to send, if
    any.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --