cannot view xsd files (Server 2003 IIS) - xml files are fine

Tom Hansen

I copied an existing web site from a 2000 server to a 2003 server.
Added the proper 'Application Extensions' I believe BUT I cannot
browse xsd files in the xsd folder (or any other folder). If I try I
get this error:
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

If I rename one of the xsd files to .txt or .xml for example then it
shows fine in the browser.

What is missing here?

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Is the .xsd extension mapped in IIS 6 as a file type that is not served?

Tom Hansen

I do not see any extensions mapped in IIS 6 as a file type that is not
served.
However adding the .xsd extension to the Application Mappings list and
linking it to the executable
x:\x\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.xxxx\aspnet_isapi.dll solved the
problem. Why that had to be done I do not know.
Thanks for the answer.
(By the way this posting resulted in a bunch of virus emails. I guess I
have to 'hide' my email next time)

Tom Hansen