Can't access an Active-X control within ASP page.

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Oscar, May 22, 2005.

  1. Oscar

    Oscar Guest

    I am quite new to the ASP scene. I want to display the results of a
    recordset into a third party grid control called VSFlexgrid. I've prepared
    one asp page which queries an Access database and holds the object in which
    the results should be writte. I've tried two options :

    1. The grid active-X component was instantated within the html part as :
    <OBJECT id=Flex style="WIDTH: 352px; HEIGHT: 256px" height=256 width=352
    classid=clsid:0F026C11-5A66-4c2b-87B5-88DDEBAE72A1>
    </OBJECT>
    The problem is that when I refer to the grid object within the scripting
    part, such as' Flex.Rows', the browser reports ' runtime error 424 : object
    required'. The object is rendered when browsing the page, however it is not
    accessable within any scripting. That's why I decided to configure the
    object to run at the server by my second approach :

    2. The grid active-X component was instantated within the html part and the
    tag RUNAT=SERVER was added.
    <OBJECT id=Flex style="WIDTH: 352px; HEIGHT: 256px" height=256 width=352
    RUNAT=SERVER
    classid=clsid:0F026C11-5A66-4c2b-87B5-88DDEBAE72A1>
    </OBJECT>
    Now the browser doesn't fire an error message. I am able to access the
    properties of the control. However, the grid is not shown in the browser at
    all!

    I guess that I am doing something wrong basically. Any suggestions what to
    do ?

    regards,
    Oscar

    Oscar, May 22, 2005

  2. Oscar

    Oscar Guest

    Hi John, thanks for your reply.

    Does this mean that method 1 never would be a solution or is there a way to
    solve that ?
    Regarding method two, I only know that the grid has a feature to save the
    whole grid in html format.

    Oscar

    Oscar, May 23, 2005

  3. Oscar

    Oscar Guest

    Hi John,

    since the website is build for restricted users (for entering of weekly
    timesheets) there is no problem in such that people won't allow the Active-X
    controls to run in their browser.
    I've been able to do the implementation within a not-ASP configuration, but
    I am afraid for time-consuming disadvantages. Meanwhile I'll look for an ASP
    grid.

    Oscar, May 23, 2005