Can't access System.Web.Extensions

Arthur Dent

Hello all, I have a site which was a .NET 2.0 AJAX 1.0 site.

I opened it up in VWDExpress 2008, and changed it to a 3.5 site, then
subsequently changed it back to a 2.0 site (I didn't have time to figure out
the subsequent C# compilers error in the web.config - which is strange BTW,
since this is a VB site, not C#).

Now, my references to AJAX no longer work. The web server has both the new
(3.5), And old versions (1.0.61025.0) installed.
If I look at the references in my project properties, it shows
System.Web.Extensions, 1.0.61025.0 as an included reference, from the GAC.

However, if I look in the object browser, filtered to "My Solution", it does
not show the System.Web.Extensions library or namespace.
and my pages are all throwing parser errors...
Unknown server tag 'asp:scriptmanagerproxy'.
Line 13: <asp:scriptmanagerproxy id="ScriptManagerProxy1"
runat="server" />

I have tried removing and readding the reference but that didn't help.
I have tried adding the System.Web.Extensions to the global namespace import
section in the web.config, but that did not help.

I don't know what else to do to try to fix this, short of redoing the
website, which is a LAST resort, as it's rather large.

Arthur Dent

Okay --- for posterity's sake...

I found the problem; When I the switch between 2.0 > 3.5 > 2.0 futzed up the
reference to System.Web.Extensions... in the process it also 'undid' all the
manual web.config changes necessary to a 2.0 app to use AJAX.

So here is what I did...

first, I manually removed the ScriptManagerProxy from a page, then loaded it
in design view, and manually readded a new ScriptManagerProxy.

then I had to go back, and put all the web.config alterations back in.

HTH someone in the future;