Can't access web service from win app

James Bletsch

I'm having a problem accessing some web services from a
windows app. I can access them from the development PC
(win 2000) and from a test PC (win 2000 - using windows
authentication). I cannot access them from my home PC
(win XP - no authentication - no fire wall). The only
thing different I can find is the authentication. IIS is
setup to allow anonymous access. I also changed the
Web.config authentication mode to "None". Are there any
other changes I need to make? Or could the problem be
caused by something else. Any help would be great.

Thanks
James

MSFT

Hi James,

On the Windows XP computer, can you browse the .asmx file for the web
service through IE?

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

James Bletsch

Yes i can. I can also test it. But when I try it comes
back with an IE Error.

If it would help my test WS is:

http://egov3.olmstedcounty.com/qa/ServiceUser.asmx?
op=fnCheckUserError2

You should be able to put anything in and it should come
back with "No Error"

It's a very simple WS that tries to make a connection to a
SQL database. If everything works it returns "No Error".
If there is an error within the WS it should return the
error msg. But it looks like it's not even running the WS

Thanks
James

MSFT

HI James,

I also got an error in IE when I test it:

10060 - Connection timeout

I suspect the error was caused by that:

The process of the web method is too long and it is beyond the timeout
setting of ASP.NET. It returned a timeout error before the web method was
finished. I suggest you may tryt to set the the executiontimeout in
web.config to larger number, to see if it will help:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgenref/ht
ml/gngrfhttpruntimesection.asp

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

jBletsch

I changed the executionTimeout to 300 and still got an error. It was
not a time out error like you got. It was "The page you are looking for
is currently unavailable"

James Bletsch
Olmsted County ISC

MSFT

Hi James,

Is the problem related to the user name and password? I mean, if the the
user name and password are valid, will it work? and about a simple web
service which return a simple string like "hello workd"?

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

jBletsch

No it should not matter that the user name and password are not correct.

Anyways I changed the WS to return "Hello World"

<WebMethod()> _
Public Function fnCheckUserError2() As String
Dim sString As String
sString = "Hello World"
Return sString
End Function

James Bletsch
Olmsted County ISC

MSFT

Hi James,

I still get same error. Is there any limitation for your network to protect
access from outside?

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

jBletsch

I think we nailed it. If you noticed when you ran the WS the IP of the
server was used as the host. The problem was that the IP is not
accessible form outside the network. The System Admin changed a setting
on IIS (Resend the header info - not really sure) and it now uses the
web address egov3.olmstedcounty.com as the host like it should. I’m not
a server guy so I’m not really sure if I’m wording this right. The
important thing is they got it to work. I still have to test it from my
home PC to be sure.

James Bletsch
Olmsted County ISC