can't add existing project in visual studio

ed d

Hi,

When I try to create a new web project,
or "add existing project from web"
or "open from source control"

i'm prompted for a URL and type in a virtual directory.

-- with "add project from web" i just get a file dialog box in "my
documents" and browsing to the right project folder doesn't work.

-- with "create new project" visual studio then complains that the
virtual directory doesn't correspond to
c:\someRecentRandomProejct\NewProjectName. i'm allowed to type in the
correct directory, and everything's hunky dory.

if trying to open a project from source control, i get the same deal as
"create new project" i.e. Visual Studio makes a stupid guess at the
directory, but i'm not allowed to correct that guess.

So I imagine my task is to get VS and IIS to work together so VS can
infer the directory when i type in the URL?

I'm very unclear about IIS/websites/virtual directories. I'm just
assuming that if i can browse to the correct directory by typing in the
URL in IE, then visual studio ought to be able to do the same. (it
works for creating new projects, after all)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Edward

Guest

Normally when you install VS it sets up the IIS correctly for you.
IIS has to have asp.net support installed before it will work properly with
VS.

You can intall it manually by going to
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

run the following command from the command prompt in the above directory.

aspnet_regiis.exe -i

This will install asp.net support in IIS.

As far as the default project directory is concerned you can set it to any
folder you want on your system in the preferences. It always comes up with a
sample project name. No sure why you can't change the name, though.

bradw2k

Once you can specify URL to add existing web project, sometimes you
must further enable Directory Browsing on the virtual directory (in
IIS) of the project you want to add.

Brad Williams