Can't add Web Reference if using HTTPS

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by MikeL, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. MikeL

    MikeL Guest

    Hello.

    I've deployed a WS onto a server on my network. I can add a web reference to
    my WinForms app if I specify http, but if I use https I get the following
    error:

    An unhandled exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in
    system.dll

    Additional information: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to
    connect to the remote server.

    SSL is working on this machine because you cannot connect to it using HTTP
    when you're outside of the firewall (I'm inside the firewall).

    I'm using XP Professional SP2.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks in advance,

    Mike
    MikeL, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Can you get the wsdl in Internet Explorer just navigate to the URL
    "https://whatever.com/default.aspx".
    Keenan Newton, Feb 17, 2005

  3. MikeL

    MikeL Guest

    Hi, Keenan. Thanks for the response.

    Yes, I can get to the WSDL in IE.

    I succeeded at adding a web reference to a Winform project at my home, which
    is outside of the firewall. It seems that I cannot add a web reference if
    I'm inside the firewall, like at work. I've added the site to my Trusted
    Zone in IE.

    It's really strange.

    Any additional thoughts?

    Thanks again,

    Mike

    MikeL, Feb 17, 2005
  4. MikeL

    MikeL Guest

    Hi again, Keenan.

    I figured it out. It was our proxy server. I had to add the site to my
    "Local Intranet" zone and select the "bypass proxy" box on the
    connections/Lan setting tab.

    MikeL, Feb 17, 2005
  5. That will do it by default the setting you have setup with IE are the
    same ones that .Net uses.
    Keenan Newton, Feb 17, 2005