Can't compile with --enable-shared on MacOSX

Lothar Scholz

Help,

i tried to generate a dynamic library from the official
Python-2.4.0.tgz on MacOSX 10.3 but when i do the

../configure --enable-shared ; make ; sudo make install

or

../configure --enable-shared=yes ; make ; sudo make install

It links statically. It's also strange that i can't find a
libpython2.4.a in my
/usr/local/lib. It's not installed by the install command.

Also /usr/local/bin/python24 works fine.

I get an error that TK/TCL was not found. Is this the reason, i
thought i can simply ignore this error message.

Maarten Sneep

i tried to generate a dynamic library from the official
Python-2.4.0.tgz on MacOSX 10.3 but when i do the

./configure --enable-shared ; make ; sudo make install

It links statically. It's also strange that i can't find a
libpython2.4.a in my
/usr/local/lib. It's not installed by the install command.

On Mac OS X the shared library functionality is obtained through
frameworks. It may detect this by default, but I'm not sure about
that. In any case read the install documentation, the correct options
are mentioned there, or you could just use the pre-built binary
install from python.org
I get an error that TK/TCL was not found. Is this the reason, i
thought i can simply ignore this error message.

Is not the reason, will go away once tcl/tk is installed (there is a
nice binary installer in the mac os x downloads section at apple.com

Maarten

Lothar Scholz

Maarten Sneep said:
On Mac OS X the shared library functionality is obtained through
frameworks. It may detect this by default, but I'm not sure about

Not good. I don't want frameworks. I must embedd python into my
application.
Setting up a framework and installing/maintaining it is much more work
especially when i'm already doing my own maintainance for the
Linux/Windows port.

No ther way then stealing the dylib from the framework directory ?

Robert Kern

Lothar said:
Not good. I don't want frameworks. I must embedd python into my
application.
Setting up a framework and installing/maintaining it is much more work
especially when i'm already doing my own maintainance for the
Linux/Windows port.

No ther way then stealing the dylib from the framework directory ?

Umm, the framework gets embedded into the app bundle when you build it.
I think you do want frameworks.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)