Can't connect to DB

Sandy

Hi!

I am trying to open a connection to a SQL Server database
using just the Framework, Notepad and the browser. I keep
getting the error message "SQL Server does not exist or
access is denied."

I am using the following for the connection:

Dim conPubs As SqlConnection
ConPubs = New SqlConnection ("Data
Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=PUBS;Integrated
Security=SSPI;")
ConPubs.Open()

In Page_Load of the script. I can take the same notepad
aspx page and put it into Visual Studio .NET and it
connects without a problem.

I'm using Windows Server 2003 and my SQL Server 2000 is
set up with windows authentication. I am not on a
network - just studying this stuff on my home computer.

THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! I have read many many pages on
security and nothing seems to be giving me what I need. I
would guess on some level there is probably some stupid
little box that has to be checked or unchecked . . . Where
ever that could be . . .

Any help anyone can give me will be immensely appreciated!

Sandy

Andrea D'Onofrio

Hi,
have you tried with this connection string?
"Data Source=local;Initial Catalog=PUBS;Integrated Security=SSPI;"

I changed the "Data Source=localhost" with "Data Source=local".

Andrea

Sandy

Hi Andrea!

Thanks for replying.

I did find out what the problem was from Chris at
the .framework.adonet site. Turns out there were two
things wrong - I had to:

1. Switch off anonymous access on Directory Security tab
in IIS (the I_User part), click okay.
following Windows user account . . . with reference to the
Windows user name and password. Check box in front of
Enable Anonymous Access.
2. Insert <identity impersonate="true" /> in xml page.

Thought I would include this in case you come across it in
the future, you can pass the word on to dummies like me.

Thanks again.

Sandy