Can't consume 'helloworld' service from aspx page

Tom McDonald

Whenever I try to consume the 'hello world' web service I
get the following:

The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote
server.

Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection
was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server.

Line 25: q = x.HelloWorld()

I get the error on line 25. Any ideas? fyi, I am running it on my
local IIS server (localhost).

The page comes up fine when I browse to it. I get the 'invoke' button
and the wsdl page.

Michael Pearson

Are you connecting to it via SSL in code by chance? Does your IIS server
have "Require client cerificates turned on?

Michael

Tom McDonald

Michael, thanks for your reply. No, the server doesn't require client
certificates. Remember, I can browse to the page no problem and get a
service description. I run into problems when I call it from a aspx
web form.

I have been stuck on this problem for WEEKS. I have searched
everywhere, repeatedly, and have found this exact problem posted many,
many places.

Unfortunately, noone seems to know why it happens or how to fix it.
If they do, they didn't post the answer online.

This is the only link that I found moderately helpful:
http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/4/24835.aspx Another
thread I found said that they actually fixed this problem by
uninstalling their virus software. I haven't tried this soln yet, but
I will shortly.

One last FYI, this is all being done locally (localhost) on IIS, i.e.,
there is no proxy in my environment.

Michael Pearson

When was the last time you did a reboot or restart on IIS?
I ran into this exact problem yesterday. I could hit the ASCX page just
fine in a browser, but my code calling the webservice always gave me that
error.
I did a restart on IIS, and everything came up.

Michael

Tom McDonald

FYI, I ported the code to a Windows XP computer and it ran fine. It
appears that the problem must be with the computer or operating system
I am using. I am using Windows 2000 sp4.

Tom McDonald

Michael Pearson said:
When was the last time you did a reboot or restart on IIS?
I ran into this exact problem yesterday. I could hit the ASCX page just
fine in a browser, but my code calling the webservice always gave me that
error.
I did a restart on IIS, and everything came up.

Michael, I tried restarting. No luck.

I keep getting this message from the vs.net debug pop-up that says

"an unhandled exception of type 'system.IO.IOException' occurred in
Unknown Module. Additional Information: Unable to create a transport
connection"

Ugh. Please help. Going on week 5 of this error.