    local IIS server (localhost).

    The page comes up fine when I browse to it. I get the 'invoke' button
    and the wsdl page.
    Tom McDonald, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Are you connecting to it via SSL in code by chance? Does your IIS server
    have "Require client cerificates turned on?

    Michael

    "Tom McDonald" <> wrote in message
    > Whenever I try to consume the 'hello world' web service I
    > get the following:
    >
    > The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote
    > server.
    >
    > Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection
    > was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server.
    >
    > Line 25: q = x.HelloWorld()
    >
    > I get the error on line 25. Any ideas? fyi, I am running it on my
    > local IIS server (localhost).
    >
    > The page comes up fine when I browse to it. I get the 'invoke' button
    > and the wsdl page.

    ---
    Michael Pearson, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Tom McDonald

    Tom McDonald Guest

    Michael, thanks for your reply. No, the server doesn't require client
    certificates. Remember, I can browse to the page no problem and get a
    service description. I run into problems when I call it from a aspx
    web form.

    I have been stuck on this problem for WEEKS. I have searched
    everywhere, repeatedly, and have found this exact problem posted many,
    many places.

    Unfortunately, noone seems to know why it happens or how to fix it.
    If they do, they didn't post the answer online.

    This is the only link that I found moderately helpful:
    http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/4/24835.aspx Another
    thread I found said that they actually fixed this problem by
    uninstalling their virus software. I haven't tried this soln yet, but
    I will shortly.

    One last FYI, this is all being done locally (localhost) on IIS, i.e.,
    there is no proxy in my environment.

    Tom McDonald, Dec 23, 2003
  4. When was the last time you did a reboot or restart on IIS?
    I ran into this exact problem yesterday. I could hit the ASCX page just
    fine in a browser, but my code calling the webservice always gave me that
    error.
    I did a restart on IIS, and everything came up.

    > Michael, thanks for your reply. No, the server doesn't require client
    > certificates. Remember, I can browse to the page no problem and get a
    > service description. I run into problems when I call it from a aspx
    > web form.
    >
    > I have been stuck on this problem for WEEKS. I have searched
    > everywhere, repeatedly, and have found this exact problem posted many,
    > many places.
    >
    > Unfortunately, noone seems to know why it happens or how to fix it.
    > If they do, they didn't post the answer online.
    >
    > This is the only link that I found moderately helpful:
    > http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/4/24835.aspx Another
    > thread I found said that they actually fixed this problem by
    > uninstalling their virus software. I haven't tried this soln yet, but
    > I will shortly.
    >
    > One last FYI, this is all being done locally (localhost) on IIS, i.e.,
    > there is no proxy in my environment.
    >

    > "Michael Pearson" <> wrote in

    message news:<>...
    > > Are you connecting to it via SSL in code by chance? Does your IIS

    server
    > > have "Require client cerificates turned on?
    > >
    > > Michael
    > >
    > > "Tom McDonald" <> wrote in message
    > > > Whenever I try to consume the 'hello world' web service I
    > > > get the following:
    > > >
    > > > The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote
    > > > server.
    > > >
    > > > Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection
    > > > was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server.
    > > >
    > > > Line 25: q = x.HelloWorld()
    > > >
    > > > I get the error on line 25. Any ideas? fyi, I am running it on my
    > > > local IIS server (localhost).
    > > >
    > > > The page comes up fine when I browse to it. I get the 'invoke' button
    > > > and the wsdl page.

    > > ---

    ---
    Michael Pearson, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Tom McDonald

    Tom McDonald Guest

    FYI, Unistalling the virus detection software didnt' work.

    Tom McDonald, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Tom McDonald

    Tom McDonald Guest

    FYI, I ported the code to a Windows XP computer and it ran fine. It
    appears that the problem must be with the computer or operating system
    I am using. I am using Windows 2000 sp4.
    Tom McDonald, Dec 26, 2003
  7. Tom McDonald

    Tom McDonald Guest

    "Michael Pearson" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > When was the last time you did a reboot or restart on IIS?
    > I ran into this exact problem yesterday. I could hit the ASCX page just
    > fine in a browser, but my code calling the webservice always gave me that
    > error.
    > I did a restart on IIS, and everything came up.

    Michael, I tried restarting. No luck.

    I keep getting this message from the vs.net debug pop-up that says

    "an unhandled exception of type 'system.IO.IOException' occurred in
    Unknown Module. Additional Information: Unable to create a transport
    connection"

    Ugh. Please help. Going on week 5 of this error.
    Tom McDonald, Dec 30, 2003