Can't create ASP.NET project - A connection with the server could not be established

Paul Wilkinson

Sorry if this is a multiple post, but Google crashed when I posted.
I'll be briefer this time.

I've seen plenty of posts on this topic, but I'm still searching for a
solution.

I can't create new asp.net projects on one of my machines. When I try
to create the project I get an error saying
"The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create
or open the Web project located at the following
URL:'http://localhost/webapp'.'A connection with the server could not
be established'."

My web server works fine. www.cremoni.com

I'm running
XP Pro SP2
firewall is turned off
machine.config processmodel settings look fine
IIS 5.1
not using a proxy server
integrated windows authentication is turned on

Any help would be appreciated,

Paul

cbDevelopment

When I visit your site, it directs me to http://24.4.227.233:81/. I
assume this is the firewall address on a non-standard port. Since you
have no problems setting up non-standard ports, is your local web server
running on something other than 80?

(e-mail address removed) (Paul Wilkinson) wrote in

Paul Wilkinson

Yes, it's on port 81. XP Pro won't allow me to host 2 sites on one
machine, so I had to put www.maiawilkinson.com (port 80) on one machine
www.cremoni.com (port 81) on my second machine. I use no-ip.org to route
to my dynamic ip address, and the port id to choose a computer.

But would that stop Visual Studio from being able to create a new
project? The site works fine.

cbDevelopment

Good, the solution is simple. When you create the new project just use
an address of http://localhost:81/WebApp.

The colon indicates which port to communicate on. If you were running
it on port 8080 (a fairly common one), you would use
http://localhost:8080/VirtualDirectory

Of course I could be mistaking you. It is entirely possible you have
your router (24.x.x.x) responding to ports 80 and 81 and routing to two
machines' port 80, as in:

24.x.x.x:80 -> 192.168.1.10:80
24.x.x.x:81 -> 192.168.1.11:80

Hopefully not.