Can't create ASP.NET project - HELP!

dw

Hello, all. We are trying to create an ASP.NET project on our Windows 2003
server via Visual Studio 2003 on a workstation via the network. We keep
getting the following error:

"The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL:
'http://itest.uncw.edu/dasapps/WebApplication1'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal
Server Error'.

We've run the aspnet_regiis -i with no luck. The Windows 2003 has a fresh
install of the OS. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Guest

Is Front Page Extensions Enabled?
Have you ever been able to pull up a asp.net page on the 2003 server?

dw

Thanks for your reply. How can we tell if FP Extensions are installed and
enabled? If it's not there, how do we install them?

Also, we're developing the apps on our local machines and running them on
the server; does the server need to have VS 2003 installed? We've never run
an ASP.NET page from this server.

Guest

From memory to check whether Front Page Extensions are insalled you can
either to go add and remove windows components and look in the details
section of IIS and see if its checked. If so, then it is installed. Also,
using IIS Manager right click on the Default Web Site and choose all task,
and see if its giving you the option to enable Front Page extensions,if so
then enable it. Do a google search or msnsearch to get some more info

If you are developing locally, then what I would suggest is that you work on
your project on yourlocal IIS server first (if you have one installed) and
create a project there. So it will be:

http://localhost/dasapps/WebApplication1

Then to deploy your project you can selet the project in Visual Studio and
go to the project menu and select copy project. This will deploy your
applicaiton to the server specified.

Jeff Dillon

No, you don't want to create a project on the server if you just want to run
your .NET application there. I suggest using the Copy Project menu item
from the Project menu

Jeff

dw

Thank you for the information, everybody. We didn't know we could use the
Copy Project for deployment. By the way, is it safe to have FP Extensions
enabled on a Web server? I've heard they could be a point of vulnerability
on a machine. Thanks.