cant debug asp code

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rea, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. Rea

    Rea Guest

    Hey eb
    After installing microsoft's script debugger,
    I configured my default web site and internet explorer
    to enable script debugging.

    But when stepping into debugging mode in some asp page
    i can't see the server side code of it (<%%> ).
    Also in the debugger's Running documents window, i only see one branch
    of documents, descending from the internet explorer node.
    No trace there for the iis side of things..
    My default scripting language in the asp page and the iis is JavaScript.
    Can this make a diference??
    Also the following properties are set on the site's virtual directory:
    Script source access is checked and execute permissions are
    scripts and executables. Still no change..
    Any idea what i may had missed??
    I am using w2k sp4 server and iis 5.
    TIA
    Rea

    Rea, Dec 27, 2005

  2. asp does not really support debugging... going into the debugger is not
    going to help
    your better off just looking at the script error and line number and going
    from there.

    then again I do not use javascript in my asp code som maybe I am wrong
    there.

    with vbscript the debugger is not helpful, I can tell you that

    Kyle Peterson, Dec 27, 2005

  3. Rea

    Dale Guest

    I debug server side script in ASP regularly. I always did with Visual
    Interdev 6 and now with Visual Studio .Net 2003.

    What I have not debugged server side script in ASP with is the Microsoft
    Script Debugger, so I can't say for sure it will work but I suspect that it
    will since the debuggers I use do treat serverside ASP as script.

    The one obvious thing I noticed in your post is that you didn't mention
    enabling debugging in IIS. On the default website to enable debugging on all
    sites, or your specific ASP site to enable debugging only there, open the IIS
    properties. Click the Configure button near where you enable the site
    application. On the configure form, you will see where you can enable
    debugging of ASP pages.

    Or you can see my response above under the subject "Help with debugging ASP"
    on 12/29/2005. That post outlines how to enable ASP debugging from within
    VS.Net 2003.

    Good luck
    --
    Dale Preston
    MCAD C#

    Dale, Dec 30, 2005
  4. interesting info, I didn't know that, sounds like a whole lotta fun though

    Kyle Peterson, Dec 30, 2005