Can't do setuid and file permission denied

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Chris, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Thanks to Ingo for refering me to this group.

    I'm a newbie with perl scripts and I'm having
    problem running my copied script to my server. Can anybody who is
    patient enough to help me with my problem?
    I have a chpass.pl which is being executed by a change password web
    utility page. This script tries to update a password on my linux
    server /etc/shadow with a file permision rw------. my chpass.pl was
    set to -rwsr-sr-x ,
    with this file permission, I'm getting an error: Can't do setuid,
    referer: http://.......
    When I set the file permision of the chpass.pl to -rwsr-xr-x , I get
    the error: file permision denied by the file /etc/shadow..
    When I chmod 777 the /etc/shadow then everything works but I'm sure
    its not safe to do that.. I cannot figure out how could I make this
    work with the original file permission of the files shadow and
    chpass.pl unchanged for I knew this was been working before with
    another machine with almost a copycat of my server.

    PLS..

    Thanks...

    Chris, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Chris

    Roy Johnson Guest

    (Chris) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Thanks to Ingo for refering me to this group.

    Please tell Ingo that the correct group is
    comp.lang.perl.misc
    since this group is no longer a public group. You can also try
    perl.beginners

    You will get more responses from a public group. I can't answer your
    questions, but I'm sure someone can in comp.lang.perl.misc. In the
    meantime, it may help for you to take a look at
    perldoc perlsec

    Roy Johnson, Oct 28, 2003