Can't edit, delete or add row in an Access database in a website 2

Guest

Can't edit, delete or add row in an Access database in a website 2003

When I implement a walkthrough using Northwind I have no trouble doing this.

Also, in a windowsforms project I have no problem editing, adding or
deleting rows.

But in webforms the smarttags don't offer the options.

Can anybody help?

dennist685

Patrick.O.Ige

dennist685 what are you trying to do exactly..
How are you trying to do this on your page etc..
Elaborate more
Patrick

Guest

After I read your reply Ireconfigured my AccessDataSource I also clicked
advance and specify generating insert, delete, edit.

Edit worked; Delete worked.

However, if I try to insert, I get the following error:
The entry calls for a string. There are two fields - an autoincrementing
ID, which of course doesn't show, and the name of the topicissuer. I typed
in vvv, just for a test.

Server Error in '/Access' Application

You tried to assign the Null value to a variable that is not a Variant data
type.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: You tried to assign the
Null value to a variable that is not a Variant data type.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80004005): You tried to assign the Null value to a
variable that is not a Variant data type.]

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS
dbParams, Object& executeResult) +177
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult)
+194
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior,
Object& executeResult) +56
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior
behavior, String method) +105
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +88
System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteDbCommand(DbCommand
command, DataSourceOperation operation) +392
System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteInsert(IDictionary
values) +405
System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Insert(IDictionary values,
DataSourceViewOperationCallback callback) +68
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsView.HandleInsert(String commandArg,
Boolean causesValidation) +391
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsView.HandleEvent(EventArgs e, Boolean
causesValidation, String validationGroup) +609
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsView.OnBubbleEvent(Object source,
EventArgs e) +87
System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsViewRow.OnBubbleEvent(Object source,
EventArgs e) +109
System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +86
System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String
eventArgument) +153

System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +172
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4919

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hey Dennist,

Would you provide us the table's structure and the asp.net page which cause
the error so that we can have a look or test on local side? I think there
may have some config setting problem in the aspx page.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Steven,

I sent the application as a zip file. Please excuse my rudeness in not
mentioning your name in the reply in which the attachment was sent. I may hav
e sent it twice.

I hope a 51.3kb zip file is acceptable as an attachment through outlook
express.

dennist685

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your respones Dennist,

I've got the zip attachement and will perform some tests.
Also, if you feel convenient, we can continue to discuss in one of all the
three threads you've opened on this issue.

--------------------
| From: "dennist685" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Can't edit, delete or add row in an Access database in a
websi
| Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 08:12:55 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|

| | > Hey Dennist,
| >
| > Would you provide us the table's structure and the asp.net page which
| > cause
| > the error so that we can have a look or test on local side? I think
there
| > may have some config setting problem in the aspx page.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)

Guest

Steven,

I've been in the hospital a few days. Only read your reply just now. I
won't be able to download your file until I get home. Then, give me a day to
digest it.

Thanks for all your work.

dennist685

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

I'm sorry to hear that Dennist.

Have a good rest and don't worry about this problem. I'll keep holding this
thread and when you need any further assistance, please feel free to post
here.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?ZGVubmlzdDY4NQ==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Can't edit, delete or add row in an Access database in a
websi
| Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:46:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Steven,
|
| I've been in the hospital a few days. Only read your reply just now. I
| won't be able to download your file until I get home. Then, give me a
day to
| digest it.
|
| Thanks for all your work.
|
| dennist685

Guest

I ran up against a terrible problem with Access. I'm going to submit it to
its proper place, Access Security. In a couple of hours, or whenever after
that which is convenient for you, please have a look there.

dennist685

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Dennist,

I'll continue to followup in your new threads.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?ZGVubmlzdDY4NQ==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Can't edit, delete or add row in an Access database in a
websi
| Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 01:42:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I ran up against a terrible problem with Access. I'm going to submit it
| its proper place, Access Security. In a couple of hours, or whenever
after
| that which is convenient for you, please have a look there.
|
| dennist685
|
| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > I'm sorry to hear that Dennist.
| >
| > Have a good rest and don't worry about this problem. I'll keep holding
this
| > thread and when you need any further assistance, please feel free to
post
| > here.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > websi
| > | thread-index: AcX1cVlFi5B5HQ57S9C+QQhbPVKe6Q==
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?ZGVubmlzdDY4NQ==?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Can't edit, delete or add row in an Access database in a
| > websi
| > | Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:46:02 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > | won't be able to download your file until I get home. Then, give me
| > day to
| > | digest it.
| > |
| > | Thanks for all your work.
| > |
| > | dennist685
| > |

Guest

Steven,

I tried to test your project. However, I'm doing something wrong. I loaded
it, and in solution explorer, all the files are there. However when I hit
cntl+F5, I get a web page with a directory listing, showing each of the
files. Then I tried to build the solution.

I get a dialog box that says, save file as ..

The save in says Access(3)

and the file name is Access(3).

I did so and the build succeeded.

However when I hit cntl+f5, and got the directory listing again.

As far as your analysis goes, I can see the problem. However, isn't this a
bug in asp.net 2.0 that should be reported to Microsoft? It seems rather
serious.

dennist685

Guest

Steven

An associated problem involves the server. Even though I have the project
in inetpub/wwwroot/Access2 - I thought renaming it might change the result
but it didn't - I still get the development server - Version Information:
ASP.NET Development Server 8.0.0.0

This is a serious problem. How does one get an Access database on the web,
using one's own computer.

I realize this is a different thread. If you wish I'll repeat this post in
a new thread.

dennist685

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dennist,

OK. I think it'll be better to start a new thread which can make it problem
clear and more convenient for discussing.