    /home/users/q/qx04t9mu/www

    but of course, I can only see /www as my root. Even phpinfo() (yes I can do PHP) won't tell me much where cgi-bin is hidden. I've placed it in /www/cgi-bin and /cgi-bin. Nothing works.

    Ideas?
    John Taylor-Johnston, Jan 31, 2004

  2. John Taylor-Johnston

    gnari Guest

    "John Taylor-Johnston" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone have an idea where I can find my cgi-bin? I can't run a script to

    find it.

    > Bizarre oh bizarre. My Home directory is this:
    >
    > /home/users/q/qx04t9mu/www
    >
    > but of course, I can only see /www as my root. Even phpinfo() (yes I can

    do PHP) won't tell me much where cgi-bin is hidden. I've placed it in
    /www/cgi-bin and /cgi-bin. Nothing works.

    > Ideas?

    yes. ask your system administrator.

    gnari
    gnari, Jan 31, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    John Taylor-Johnston <> wrote:
    :Anyone have an idea where I can find my cgi-bin? I can't run a script to find it.

    That's not a perl question.

    :Bizarre oh bizarre. My Home directory is this:

    :/home/users/q/qx04t9mu/www

    :but of course, I can only see /www as my root. Even phpinfo() (yes I can do PHP) won't tell me much where cgi-bin is hidden. I've placed it in /www/cgi-bin and /cgi-bin. Nothing works.

    You might not -have- a cgi-bin. Or your WWW server might be
    configured to allow cgi scripts in any directory (if you can
    do php from a directory, then it -is- a script directory.)
    Or your WWW server might be configured so that you can
    designate your own script directories or script filetypes, such as
    by adding a line to a .htaccess file that looks something like

    AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .cgi

    The best thing to do is ask your support people.

    If it were a system I was authorized to use a shell on, I
    would use 'ps' to see if I could find the httpd binaries, and
    deduce from there the likely location of the server configuration
    files and read the config for myself. But some admins might
    get a bit upset about that.
    --
    I don't know if there's destiny,
    but there's a decision! -- Wim Wenders (WoD)
    Walter Roberson, Jan 31, 2004
  4. Sigh. Newsgroups are for asking for help.
    I must have one, even if I cannot see it. If I type:
    http://www.glquebec.org/cgi-bin/

    I do get a 403 error, which tells me something; in fact:
    "You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/ on this server"

    I have tried "any" directory. Can't shell. I'll try the htaccess thing to see.

    O.K. will make phone calls on Monday.

    John Taylor-Johnston, Jan 31, 2004
  5. On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, John Taylor-Johnston blots his copybook by
    blurting out atop a fullquote:

    > Sigh. Newsgroups are for asking for help.

    Get real. This is usenet, not a help desk.

    > I must have one, even if I cannot see it.

    The killfile is ready and waiting. Now let's see what you had been
    told:

    > > The best thing to do is ask your support people.

    Hmmm, that's not a bad idea, you know.

    Otherwise you could ask in a WWW servers configuration group. You are
    most certainly off-beam here.
    Alan J. Flavell, Jan 31, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    John Taylor-Johnston <> wrote:
    :Sigh. Newsgroups are for asking for help.

    But -this- newsgroup is not for help with the configuration of
    your WWW server -- not unless your WWW server is written in perl.
    Try the comp.infosystems.www.servers.* hierarchy.

    Your server is Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) PHP/4.3.4 and is a virtual server
    run by jonctioninter.net. Read their FAQ at
    http://www.jonctioninter.net/en/tech/www-laz.html#scripts_cgi

    :I must have one, even if I cannot see it. If I type:
    :http://www.glquebec.org/cgi-bin/

    :I do get a 403 error, which tells me something; in fact:
    :"You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/ on this server"

    It probably also tells you that automatic directory index generation
    is turned off and there is no index.html file in that directory.

    But that's nothing to do with perl.
    --
    History is a pile of debris -- Laurie Anderson
    Walter Roberson, Jan 31, 2004
  7. John Taylor-Johnston <> wrote:

    > Sigh. Newsgroups are for asking for help.

    Yes, but *this* newsgroup is for asking for help with _Perl_.

    You do not need help with Perl.

    You need help with web servers or the CGI.

    Try asking in a newsgroup that is actually about web servers or the CGI.

    [ snip TOFU ]

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Feb 1, 2004
  8. John Taylor-Johnston wrote:
    > Anyone have an idea where I can find my cgi-bin? I can't run a script
    > to find it.

    Well, if you can't run a Perl script, why not run a simple "find" command?
    Of course this has nothing to do with Perl

    > Bizarre oh bizarre. My Home directory is this:
    >
    > /home/users/q/qx04t9mu/www

    The try "find /home/users/q/qx04t9mu/www -name cgi-bin". Please check the
    syntax, it has been a while since I used "find".

    > but of course, I can only see /www as my root.

    You know about the "cd" command, do you?

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Feb 1, 2004