Can't find getContentPane() in Frame

Discussion in 'Java' started by Gil, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Gil

    Gil Guest

    trying to compile an example I found on the Sun website but I get an
    error.

    Compiler says can't find getContentPane() in class java.awt.Frame

    Here's the example I was trying to compile :

    /* * TabbedPaneDemo.java is a 1.4 example that requires one additional
    file: * images/middle.gif. */
    import javax.swing.JTabbedPane;
    import javax.swing.ImageIcon;
    import javax.swing.JLabel;
    import javax.swing.JPanel;
    import javax.swing.JFrame;
    import javax.swing.JComponent;
    import java.awt.BorderLayout;
    import java.awt.Dimension;
    import java.awt.GridLayout;
    import java.awt.event.KeyEvent;

    public class TabbedPaneDemo extends JPanel
    {
    public TabbedPaneDemo() {
    super(new GridLayout(1, 1));
    JTabbedPane tabbedPane = new JTabbedPane();
    ImageIcon icon = createImageIcon("images/middle.gif");
    JComponent panel1 = makeTextPanel("Panel #1");
    tabbedPane.addTab("Tab 1", icon, panel1, "Does
    nothing");
    tabbedPane.setMnemonicAt(0, KeyEvent.VK_1);
    JComponent panel2 = makeTextPanel("Panel #2");
    tabbedPane.addTab("Tab 2", icon, panel2, "Does twice as
    much nothing");
    tabbedPane.setMnemonicAt(1, KeyEvent.VK_2);
    JComponent panel3 = makeTextPanel("Panel #3");
    tabbedPane.addTab("Tab 3", icon, panel3, "Still does
    nothing");
    tabbedPane.setMnemonicAt(2, KeyEvent.VK_3);
    JComponent panel4 = makeTextPanel( "Panel #4 (has a
    preferred size of 410 x 50).");
    panel4.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(410, 50));
    tabbedPane.addTab("Tab 4", icon, panel4, "Does nothing
    at all");
    tabbedPane.setMnemonicAt(3, KeyEvent.VK_4); //Add the
    tabbed pane to this panel.
    add(tabbedPane);
    //Uncomment the following line to use scrolling tabs.
    //tabbedPane.setTabLayoutPolicy(JTabbedPane.SCROLL_TAB_LAYOUT);
    }

    protected JComponent makeTextPanel(String text)
    {
    JPanel panel = new JPanel(false);
    JLabel filler = new JLabel(text);
    filler.setHorizontalAlignment(JLabel.CENTER);
    panel.setLayout(new GridLayout(1, 1));
    panel.add(filler); return panel;
    } /** Returns an ImageIcon, or null if the path was
    invalid. */

    protected static ImageIcon createImageIcon(String path)
    {
    java.net.URL imgURL =
    TabbedPaneDemo.class.getResource(path);
    if (imgURL != null)
    {
    return new ImageIcon(imgURL);
    } else {
    System.err.println("Couldn't find file: " + path);
    return null;
    }
    } /** * Create the GUI and show it. For thread safety, *
    this method should be invoked from the * event-dispatching thread. */

    private static void createAndShowGUI()
    {
    //Make sure we have nice window decorations.
    JFrame.setDefaultLookAndFeelDecorated(true);

    //Create and set up the window.
    JFrame frame = new JFrame("TabbedPaneDemo");
    //Create and set up the content pane.
    JComponent newContentPane = new TabbedPaneDemo();
    newContentPane.setOpaque(true);
    //content panes must be opaque
    frame.getContentPane().add(new TabbedPaneDemo(),
    BorderLayout.CENTER);
    //Display the window.
    frame.pack();
    frame.setVisible(true);
    }

    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
    //Schedule a job for the event-dispatching thread:
    //creating and showing this application's GUI.
    javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
    public void run() { createAndShowGUI(); } }); } }

    Found the example here :

    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/example-1dot4/TabbedPaneDemo.java

    Gil, Jan 26, 2005

  2. Gil

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Gil" <> wrote in message
    > trying to compile an example I found on the Sun website but I get an
    > error.
    >
    > Compiler says can't find getContentPane() in class java.awt.Frame
    >
    > Here's the example I was trying to compile :

    [...]
    That class is not the source of your problem. It doesn't even have a
    java.awt.Frame in it.

    Ryan Stewart, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Gil

    Ann Guest

    "Gil" <> wrote in message
    > trying to compile an example I found on the Sun website but I get an
    > error.
    >
    > Compiler says can't find getContentPane() in class java.awt.Frame
    >

    > Here's the example I was trying to compile :
    >
    > /* * TabbedPaneDemo.java is a 1.4 example that requires one additional
    > file: * images/middle.gif. */
    > import javax.swing.JTabbedPane;
    > import javax.swing.ImageIcon;
    > import javax.swing.JLabel;
    > import javax.swing.JPanel;
    > import javax.swing.JFrame;
    > import javax.swing.JComponent;
    > import java.awt.BorderLayout;
    > import java.awt.Dimension;
    > import java.awt.GridLayout;
    > import java.awt.event.KeyEvent;

    Do you need an asterisk?

    Ann, Jan 26, 2005
  4. Gil

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Ann" <> wrote in message
    > "Gil" <> wrote in message

    [...]
    >> file: * images/middle.gif. */

    [...]
    > Do you need an asterisk?

    If you mean the first one in that line there, it's inside a comment and
    irrelevant. If you mean does he need to import java.awt.*, that won't help
    either.

    Ryan Stewart, Jan 26, 2005
  5. Gil

    Ann Guest

    /* * TabbedPaneDemo.java is a 1.4 example that requires one additional
    file: * images/middle.gif. */
    import javax.swing.JTabbedPane;
    import javax.swing.ImageIcon;
    import javax.swing.JLabel;
    import javax.swing.JPanel;
    import javax.swing.JFrame;
    import javax.swing.JComponent;
    import java.awt.BorderLayout;
    import java.awt.Dimension;
    import java.awt.GridLayout;
    import java.awt.event.KeyEvent;
    > [...]
    > >> file: * images/middle.gif. */

    > [...]
    > > Do you need an asterisk?
    > >

    > If you mean the first one in that line there, it's inside a comment and
    > irrelevant. If you mean does he need to import java.awt.*, that won't help
    > either.

    I was referring to
    import javax.swing.JFrame; ==> import javax.swing.JFrame.*;
    -------------------------------
    Class JFrame
    java.lang.Object

    +--java.awt.Component

    +--java.awt.Container

    +--java.awt.Window

    +--java.awt.Frame

    +--javax.swing.JFrame

    Ann, Jan 26, 2005
  6. Gil

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Ann" <> wrote in message
    [...]
    > I was referring to
    > import javax.swing.JFrame; ==> import javax.swing.JFrame.*;

    [...]
    What do you hope to accomplish with that?

    Ryan Stewart, Jan 27, 2005
  7. Gil

    Ann Guest

    "Ryan Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > "Ann" <> wrote in message
    > [...]
    > > I was referring to
    > > import javax.swing.JFrame; ==> import javax.swing.JFrame.*;

    > [...]
    > What do you hope to accomplish with that?

    I thought you wanted to know the location of the method you mentioned,
    so I thought I was telling you where it is. Maybe I don't understand
    what you want so I give up now.

    Ann, Jan 27, 2005
  8. Gil

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Ann" <> wrote in message
    > I thought you wanted to know the location of the method you mentioned,
    > so I thought I was telling you where it is. Maybe I don't understand
    > what you want so I give up now.

    Okay, first you don't import instance members. Second, the original error
    indicated that the method was being invoked on a Frame, not on a JFrame. We
    still haven't heard back from the OP, so I wonder if he realized he didn't post
    the right class or something.

    Ryan Stewart, Jan 27, 2005
  9. Gil

    > "Ann" <> wrote in message
    > > I thought you wanted to know the location of the method you mentioned,
    > > so I thought I was telling you where it is. Maybe I don't understand
    > > what you want so I give up now.
    > >

    > Okay, first you don't import instance members. Second, the original error
    > indicated that the method was being invoked on a Frame, not on a JFrame.

    We
    > still haven't heard back from the OP, so I wonder if he realized he didn't

    post
    > the right class or something.

    ok

    Ann, Jan 27, 2005
  10. Gil

    > "Ann" <> wrote in message
    > > I thought you wanted to know the location of the method you mentioned,
    > > so I thought I was telling you where it is. Maybe I don't understand
    > > what you want so I give up now.
    > >

    > Okay, first you don't import instance members. Second, the original error
    > indicated that the method was being invoked on a Frame, not on a JFrame.

    We
    > still haven't heard back from the OP, so I wonder if he realized he didn't

    post
    > the right class or something.

    I still give up.

    Ann, Jan 27, 2005