Can't find Python Library packages in Ubuntu (Debian)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jerzy Jalocha N, Nov 20, 2008.

  1. I'm new in this list (and to Python), so I'd like to start saying
    hello to everyone first. I am really enjoying this new language!

    I am trying to use the standard tests (like test_list.py or
    test_dict.py) from the standard library (Python2.5), but they aren't
    available on a standard Ubuntu Hardy or Ibex installation. Searching
    in the official download, I found a rich test structure under
    'Lib/test/', but in my installation, this directory doesn't contain
    much. The dpkg-file script didn't find any packages for these specific
    files either. I looked manually in any 'python-' package that seemed
    reasonable, with no success, and Google didn't help this time.

    So, the first question is: How do I install the complete Python test
    framework under Ubuntu (Debian)?

    Since I spend long times in a remote area without network connection,
    I usually try to set-up everything I need (and might eventually need)
    on my computer in advance, in order to avoid unpleasant surprises.
    Thus, I would really try to make sure, I have a complete Python
    installed on my notebook. But I couldn't find out for sure what parts
    are missing in a standard Ubuntu installation, and what needs to be
    added manually.

    So, my second question: What (meta?-)package(s) do I have to install
    under Ubuntu (Debian) in order to get a full (as in the official
    release) Python installation?

    Thank you in advance!

    Jerzy
    Jerzy Jalocha N, Nov 20, 2008

  2. Jerzy Jalocha N wrote:

    > I'm new in this list (and to Python), so I'd like to start saying
    > hello to everyone first. I am really enjoying this new language!
    >
    > I am trying to use the standard tests (like test_list.py or
    > test_dict.py) from the standard library (Python2.5), but they aren't
    > available on a standard Ubuntu Hardy or Ibex installation. Searching
    > in the official download, I found a rich test structure under
    > 'Lib/test/', but in my installation, this directory doesn't contain
    > much. The dpkg-file script didn't find any packages for these specific
    > files either. I looked manually in any 'python-' package that seemed
    > reasonable, with no success, and Google didn't help this time.
    >
    > So, the first question is: How do I install the complete Python test
    > framework under Ubuntu (Debian)?
    >
    > Since I spend long times in a remote area without network connection,
    > I usually try to set-up everything I need (and might eventually need)
    > on my computer in advance, in order to avoid unpleasant surprises.
    > Thus, I would really try to make sure, I have a complete Python
    > installed on my notebook. But I couldn't find out for sure what parts
    > are missing in a standard Ubuntu installation, and what needs to be
    > added manually.
    >
    > So, my second question: What (meta?-)package(s) do I have to install
    > under Ubuntu (Debian) in order to get a full (as in the official
    > release) Python installation?

    The one thing you will definitely need is the python-dev-package. It will
    contain things such as headers and distutils that are needed to build and
    install 3rd-party-packages.

    I don't have the slightest idea where the tests are - but you can of course
    always install the source package :)

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Nov 20, 2008