    /usr/local/lib.

    Where is it?

    Thanks in advance.

    Nirav, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Nirav wrote:
    > I skipped ruby selection while installing mandrake 10.1 with an
    > intention of building the latest version (1.8.3).
    > After untarring the download in /usr/local/src, I followed README (1.
    > ../configure 2. make 3. and optional make test (successful)).
    > "which ruby" returns ruby: but I can't find ruby in /usr/local/bin or
    > /usr/local/lib.
    >
    > Where is it?

    It's probably in your current working directory (i.e. from wherever you
    called 'which ruby'). To make sure, take a look at the Makefile that was
    generated by configure. Search for the 'prefix' variable about a dozen
    lines from the top.

    jason r tibbetts, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Nirav

    Zach Guest

    jason r tibbetts wrote:

    > Nirav wrote:
    >
    >> I skipped ruby selection while installing mandrake 10.1 with an
    >> intention of building the latest version (1.8.3).
    >> After untarring the download in /usr/local/src, I followed README (1.
    >> ../configure 2. make 3. and optional make test (successful)).
    >> "which ruby" returns ruby: but I can't find ruby in /usr/local/bin or
    >> /usr/local/lib.
    >>
    >> Where is it?

    > It's probably in your current working directory (i.e. from wherever
    > you called 'which ruby'). To make sure, take a look at the Makefile
    > that was generated by configure. Search for the 'prefix' variable
    > about a dozen lines from the top.

    During the .configure you can pass the parameters to set that at runtime
    too, I'm not sure if it was as short as --PREFIX=myPath or not but it
    was that simple.

    -Zach

    Zach, Jan 5, 2006
  4. Nirav

    Marius Friis Guest

    You might need to run 'make install' as root to actually install it,
    right now you have just
    compiled it.

    --
    Sir Bedevere: ...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be
    banana shaped.

    Marius Friis, Jan 5, 2006
  5. Nirav

    Nirav Guest

    Strange!! last time I kept the distro version, and
    compiled/build/install 1.8.3 in /usr space using same instructions in
    README. It worked then!

    Is it possible that configuration script assumes that user will always
    keep the linux distro version, but unable to find that in this case and
    got confused?

    Anyways, thank you all, I will try the options you've provided.

    Nirav, Jan 5, 2006