can't get aspnetdb.mdf to work on remote host

Guest

i'm in the process of putting my first .net app on a remote server, and i'm
having no end of trouble getting the aspnetdb database (sitememberships on my
host) to work correctly.

after a lot of research, i'm able to connect to it with this connection
string in my web.config file:
<remove name="LocalSqlServer"></remove>
<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=[host server]; User
ID=[username]; Password=[password]; Initial Catalog=sitememberships"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

however, i'm still unable to use any credentials that were in the database
before, even though i used the new database publishing wizard from ms to
create a .sql file and had my host restore the database from that. if i
create a new user, i can use those credentials...until i add another user.
at that point, i can no longer use any other credentials in the database but
the ones just created.

can anyone point me to a step-by-step tutorial for how to put this database
on a remote server or tell me what i'm doing wrong? i found a guide on
creating the .sql file on scottgu's blog, but his connection strings didn't
work for me. i found the working connection string on google groups. if i
even knew what steps had to be performed: are there more things that need
changing in the web.config? another file? code changes?

any light shed on this is greatly appreciated.

-josh

Guest

yes, that's what i mean by remote server. i've been working with them on
this, and they've been helpful in getting me connected to the database.
however i don't think they have a lot of expertise in this particular area.
the database appears to be fine, and i would think that my code and
everything is fine as this works on my machine (common theme i'm
discovering), so i'm confused as to why, if i've recreated an exact duplicate
of the database and can connect to it without any trouble, i'm still not able
to get it to work correctly. i was thinking perhaps someone who understood
the .net framework better could say "you need to do this and this for that to
work." or point me to a better resource than i've been able to find thus far.

David Wier said:
When you say 'remote server' - are you talking about a hosted site you have
(buying hosting services)?

If so, have you asked them about how to work with it?

David Wier
MVP/ASPInsider
http://aspnet101.com
http://iWritePro.com