Can't get asynch Web Service calls to work in IIS 7 with Compressi

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Paul Duncan, Dec 18, 2009.

  1. Paul Duncan

    Paul Duncan Guest

    I need to perform an asynchronous web service call to an ASP.NET service
    running on IIS 7 using Dynamic Compression, and it is failing.

    I'm using the basic 'Hello World' web service, and the default proxy I
    created using wsdl. I've also overridden WebResponse so that I can
    decompress the GZIPPED response. Stepping through, I see that this code is
    working fine and my response is getting decompressed. However, when I call
    proxy.EndHelloWorld(), it throws an 'XmlException: Unexpected end of file ...
    position 312'. In Fiddler, I can see that the file's content-length is 311,
    but is obviously longer when decompressed.

    If I call the method synchronously, it works, if I turn off Dynamic
    Compression in IIS7, it works, or if I use IIS 6 it works. In IIS6, I notice
    the response does not have a content-length, but rather a transfer-encoding
    of 'chunked'. So, when calling IIS 7, I set a breakpoint in Fiddler and
    changed the response to chunked, and it worked fine. Perhaps the answer is
    to set something in IIS7 so that my responses are chunked, but it seems
    strange that this doesn't just work out of the box.

    Thanks for any help you can give on this,
    Paul

    Paul Duncan, Dec 18, 2009