Can't get CSS link styles to work in a table

Marc

I'm having touble with multiple hyperlink styles within a stylesheet.
I guess I'd also appreciate a good reference to truly learn CSS since
it appears that many have their own ideas as to what works properly
and what doesn't and what good CSS code should look like. Thanks in
advance to all of you.

I have a page at armchairdictator.com. I'm simply trying to get the
subject link (Cafe Lex) to have an underline and change color with a
hover. I've tried all combinations of code. I've even pulled out the
nesting and it doesn't work. I've tried this and tagged the subject
header as class="menu1" but that defaulted to the default hyperlink
styles.

a.menu1:hover { color:#FFFF00; text-decoration:underline }
a.menu1:visited { color:#FFFFFF; text-decoration:underline }

Right now I've tried the following below, which works earlier in the
CSS but doesn't work here. article_loop is the class for the table and
the subject is the class for a variable that appears in a cell table.
I was wondering how I might accomplish this!

..article_loop
{
background-color:{firstalt};
margin:2px;
padding:4px;
}

..article_loop .subject
{
font-family: Trebuchet MS, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica,
sans-serif;
text-decoration:none;
font-size: 12pt;
font-weight: bold;
color:{subfontcolor};
text-decoration: none;
}

..article_loop .subject a:link
{
font-family: Trebuchet MS, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica,
sans-serif;
text-decoration:none;
font-size: 12pt;
font-weight: bold;
color: #336699;
text-decoration: underline;
}

..article_loop .subject a:visited
{
font-family: Trebuchet MS, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica,
sans-serif;
text-decoration:none;
font-size: 12pt;
font-weight: bold;
color: #336699;
text-decoration: underline;
}

..article_loop .subject a:hover
{
font-family: Trebuchet MS, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica,
sans-serif;
text-decoration:none;
font-size: 12pt;
font-weight: bold;
color: #CC0000;
text-decoration: underline;
}

..article_loop .subject a:active
{
font-family: Trebuchet MS, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica,
sans-serif;
text-decoration:none;
font-size: 12pt;
font-weight: bold;
color: #CC0000;
text-decoration: underline;

Marc

That's a variable that is inserted. If this showed up in the html I'm
wondering if that is a dev mistake but i don't think it is the source
of the problem though...

Toby Inkster

Marc said:
That's a variable that is inserted. If this showed up in the html I'm
wondering if that is a dev mistake but i don't think it is the source
of the problem though...

Don't be too surprused if it's the cause. Fix the problem then post a URL.