Can't get gems to work (1.9, Windows)

jana.koivu

Hi,

I can't get gems to work in my 1.9 install. Can anyone help?

The gem command worked ('gem install log4r'), but when I try to
include it from a script, I just get 'no such file to load'.

The gem got installed into the directory 'c:\LAN'. Does that seem
correct?

If I use filemon or procmon while running my script, I notice that
Ruby is *only* searching the directories under c:\ruby-1.9\lib\ruby.

I've tried changing RUBYOPTS, GEM_PATH, GEM_HOME, to no avail.

Jana

Christopher Dicely

Hi,

I can't get gems to work in my 1.9 install. Can anyone help?

The gem command worked ('gem install log4r'), but when I try to
include it from a script, I just get 'no such file to load'.

The gem got installed into the directory 'c:\LAN'. Does that seem
correct?

If I use filemon or procmon while running my script, I notice that
Ruby is *only* searching the directories under c:\ruby-1.9\lib\ruby.

I've tried changing RUBYOPTS, GEM_PATH, GEM_HOME, to no avail.

Jana

Ruby Gems seems to have a broken default install-dir in the released
Windows build of 1.9; other comments I've seen suggest that using an
explicit --install-dir pointing to the right directory should solve
that problem.

jana.koivu

Ruby Gems seems to have a broken default install-dir in the released
Windows build of 1.9; other comments I've seen suggest that using an
explicit --install-dir pointing to the right directory should solve
that problem.

Hi Christopher, thank-you.

I can use --install-dir to force gem to install into the proper place,
but ruby still doesn't find the gem when I run my script:
\ruby-1.9\bin\gem.bat install --install-dir c:\ruby-1.9\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.0 log4r
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Successfully installed log4r-1.0.5
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for log4r-1.0.5...
Installing RDoc documentation for log4r-1.0.5...
\ruby-1.9\bin\ruby -e "require 'log4r'"
-e:1:in `require': no such file to load -- log4r (LoadError)
from -e:1:in `<main>'

Filemon tells me that the only places that ruby is searching for the
library are:

lib\ruby\site_ruby
lib\ruby\vendor_ruby
lib\ruby\1.9.0

How do I get it to search the gems directory?

Jana

Christopher Dicely

Hi Christopher, thank-you.

I can use --install-dir to force gem to install into the proper place,
but ruby still doesn't find the gem when I run my script:

Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Successfully installed log4r-1.0.5
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for log4r-1.0.5...
Installing RDoc documentation for log4r-1.0.5...

-e:1:in `require': no such file to load -- log4r (LoadError)
from -e:1:in `<main>'

Filemon tells me that the only places that ruby is searching for the
library are:

lib\ruby\site_ruby
lib\ruby\vendor_ruby
lib\ruby\1.9.0

How do I get it to search the gems directory?

That's odd. I think my Ruby 1.9.0-on-Windows-fu has been exhausted
(I just remember the problem with installing gems into the wrong directory
and the fix; I remember running into enough quirks that I decided to restrict
myself to 1.8 until there is a 1.9 One-Click-Installer, or at least a
new release
of 1.9 for Windows.)