Can't get irb to read its configuration file

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Pierre Barbier de Reuille, Sep 9, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I was trying to use Wirble, and following the mail, I edited my ~/.irbrc

    However, it seems that the content of that file is just not read ... I
    tried to debug the irb scripts and I found out that this file was
    correctly found, however, the content do not seems to be evaluated at all :(

    Also, I tried to evaluate that .irbrc file directly from irb and it does
    work ...

    For information I am using :

    $ irb --version
    irb 0.9.5(05/04/13)
    $ ruby --version
    ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i486-linux]

    Thanks,

    Pierre

    Pierre Barbier de Reuille, Sep 9, 2006

  2. Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was trying to use Wirble, and following the mail, I edited my ~/.irbrc
    >
    > However, it seems that the content of that file is just not read ... I
    > tried to debug the irb scripts and I found out that this file was
    > correctly found, however, the content do not seems to be evaluated at all :(
    >
    > Also, I tried to evaluate that .irbrc file directly from irb and it does
    > work ...
    >
    > For information I am using :
    >
    > $ irb --version
    > irb 0.9.5(05/04/13)
    > $ ruby --version
    > ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i486-linux]

    Did you just put something in there like "puts 'hello'"? Did it print?

    Regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Sep 9, 2006

  3. Simon Mitchell wrote:
    > Are you using ver 0.1.2 http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.2.gem
    > http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.2.gem.asc
    >
    > I did not get any with 0.1.1 and it did not work until i installed 0.1.2
    >
    > You could run irb in debug mode to hopefully see any errors in .irbrc
    >
    > irb -d
    >
    > Simon

    Thanks, for some reason, installing the 0.1.2 corrected the problem. And
    indeed, using "irb -d" (which I didn't know about) shown an error while
    irbrc file without problem :/

    But well, now it is working, thanks :)

    Pierre

    Pierre Barbier de Reuille, Sep 9, 2006