Can't get subroutine/helper function to work in Datalist control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Chumley the Walrus, Jun 14, 2004.

  1. I'm using a subroutine/helper function display an image (the image
    would be displayed inside a datalist control's <itemtemplate> )

    <script language="VB" runat="server">
    Public Sub checkforimg(ByVal Imagesubprod1 As String)
    If Imagesubprod1 <> "" then
    response.write(Imagesubprod1)
    Else
    response.write("nbsp;")
    End If
    End Sub
    </script>

    ..... but I get an "Overload resolution failed because no accessible
    'ToString' can be called with these arguments:" error when it comes
    time to check for the image as follows.

    <%# checkforimg(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,
    "Imagesubprod1"))%>

    When I form the header for the sub as follows:
    Public Sub checkforimg(ByVal Imagesubprod1 As String) As string

    ....i get an "Expected end of statement " error on this line
    Chumley the Walrus, Jun 14, 2004

  2. You want to use a Function rather than a Sub and make sure it returns a
    string.

    Actually, you might be able to shorten the process by using IIF right in
    your .aspx file:

    <asp:Image id="Image1" runat="server" ImageUrl='<%#
    iif(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,
    "StringValue")="","&nbsp;",DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,"StringValue"))
    %>'>

    Ken

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jun 14, 2004