    paragraph.
    Thanks for help !

    franck

    Franck Ditter, Dec 19, 2011

  2. Franck Ditter

    Ned Deily Guest

    In article <>,
    Franck Ditter <> wrote:
    > All is in the subject. I'm starting to use Python with Idle 3.2.2
    > on MacOS-X Lion (French). I can't get "Option-N space" to provide
    > the ~ char.
    > I tried to go into the Keys preferences but I can't find "Option-N space"
    > to modify its meaning. Its actual behavior is to merge lines of a
    > paragraph.

    You are likely running into a current problem in the OS X Cocoa version
    of Tcl/Tk 8.5 as included with Lion and as shipped by ActiveState.
    Previously, if you tried to type composite characters, like Option N,
    the Cocoa Tcl/Tk would crash. Pending a real fix, a patch was made to
    Tcl/Tk 8.5 to discard composite characters rather than crash. You
    should be able to get a tilde by using the post-composite keyboard
    sequence: try typing "space" followed by "Shift-Option-N".

    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2907388&group_id
    =12997&atid=112997

    --
    Ned Deily,

    Ned Deily, Dec 19, 2011

  3. Nope, "space" followed by "Shift-Option-N" gives a greek iota...
    I tried other combinations, unsuccessfully.
    IDLE 3 (French) seems to be unusable as we use many ~ in web applications :-(
    Should we hope a fix soon, or leave IDLE ?
    Thanks,

    franck

    Franck Ditter, Dec 20, 2011
  4. Franck Ditter

    Ned Deily Guest

    In article <>,
    Franck Ditter <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ned Deily <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Franck Ditter <> wrote:
    > > > All is in the subject. I'm starting to use Python with Idle 3.2.2
    > > > on MacOS-X Lion (French). I can't get "Option-N space" to provide
    > > > the ~ char.
    > > > I tried to go into the Keys preferences but I can't find "Option-N space"
    > > > to modify its meaning. Its actual behavior is to merge lines of a
    > > > paragraph.

    > > You are likely running into a current problem in the OS X Cocoa version
    > > of Tcl/Tk 8.5 as included with Lion and as shipped by ActiveState.
    > > Previously, if you tried to type composite characters, like Option N,
    > > the Cocoa Tcl/Tk would crash. Pending a real fix, a patch was made to
    > > Tcl/Tk 8.5 to discard composite characters rather than crash. You
    > > should be able to get a tilde by using the post-composite keyboard
    > > sequence: try typing "space" followed by "Shift-Option-N".
    > >
    > > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2907388&group_id=12
    > > 997&atid=112997

    > Nope, "space" followed by "Shift-Option-N" gives a greek iota...
    > I tried other combinations, unsuccessfully.
    > IDLE 3 (French) seems to be unusable as we use many ~ in web applications :-(
    > Should we hope a fix soon, or leave IDLE ?

    Yes, I see now that that won't work with the French input method.
    Unfortunately, there is nothing that IDLE or Python can do to workaround
    the issue as the problem is in Cocoa Tcl/Tk and I don't know that any
    fix is being worked on.

    One approach that *might* work is to create a modified French keyboard
    layout that substitutes tilde for some other key combination without
    using a dead key (Option-N is a dead key). Ukelele.app seems to be the
    most frequently recommended keyboard layout editor for OS X and comes
    with extensive documentation. I don't have time right now to experiment
    with it but I would be interested to hear if someone is able to make it
    work.

    http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=ukelele

    --
    Ned Deily,

    Ned Deily, Dec 21, 2011
  5. Franck Ditter

    Ned Deily Guest

    [FIXED] Re: Can't get tilde character with IDLE 3.2.2 on French MacLion

    A followup to a thread in 2011-12.

    In article <>,
    Ned Deily <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Franck Ditter <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Ned Deily <> wrote:
    > > > You are likely running into a current problem in the OS X Cocoa version
    > > > of Tcl/Tk 8.5 as included with Lion and as shipped by ActiveState.
    > > > Previously, if you tried to type composite characters, like Option N,
    > > > the Cocoa Tcl/Tk would crash. Pending a real fix, a patch was made to
    > > > Tcl/Tk 8.5 to discard composite characters rather than crash. You
    > > > should be able to get a tilde by using the post-composite keyboard
    > > > sequence: try typing "space" followed by "Shift-Option-N".
    > > >
    > > > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2907388&group_id=
    > > > 12
    > > > 997&atid=112997

    > > Nope, "space" followed by "Shift-Option-N" gives a greek iota...
    > > I tried other combinations, unsuccessfully.
    > > IDLE 3 (French) seems to be unusable as we use many ~ in web applications
    > > :-(
    > > Should we hope a fix soon, or leave IDLE ?

    > Yes, I see now that that won't work with the French input method.
    > Unfortunately, there is nothing that IDLE or Python can do to workaround
    > the issue as the problem is in Cocoa Tcl/Tk and I don't know that any
    > fix is being worked on.

    Good news! A fix for Cocoa Tcl/Tk 8.5 for improved handling of Mac OS X
    input methods was recently applied and has now been released in the
    latest ActiveState Tcl release (8.5.11.1) available here:

    http://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads

    It appears to fix the tilde problem and other similar problems with
    composite characters, like Option-U + vowel to form "umlauted" vowels in
    the U.S. input method. Many thanks to Adrian Robert, Kevin Walzer, and
    the ActiveState team for addressing this nasty problem.

    If you install ActiveState Tcl 8.5.x, it will automatically be used by
    the python.org 2.7.x, 3.2.x, and 3.3.x 64-bit/32-bit Pythons for OS X
    10.6 and 10.7. It will *not* be used by the Apple-supplied system
    Pythons or by 32-bit-only python.org Pythons. More details here:

    http://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/

    --
    Ned Deily,

    Ned Deily, Mar 5, 2012