can't install ruby-prof 0.7.0 or superior on windows

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by DG, Jul 14, 2009.

  1. DG

    DG Guest

    I found windows users of 0.7.3 here but I still can't instal
    >=0.7.0 0.6 is fine but doesn't have the pause

    functionnality.

    What did you do to avoid the error see at bottom. I don't
    have space in the path and the google links didn't gave
    real hint.

    how do you use say:
    http://github.com/tmm1/ruby-prof/tree/master

    thanks.

    Didier

    error --

    ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
    Error instaling ruby-prof-0.7.1-x86-mswin32-60.gem:

    rake
    RUBYARCHDIR=c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-prof-0.7.1-x86-mswin32-6
    0/l
    ib
    RUBYLIBDIR=c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-prof-0.7.1-x86-mswin32-60
    /lib
    extension
    'rake' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
    ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.

    DG, Jul 14, 2009

  2. DG

    Roger Pack Guest

    > rake
    > RUBYARCHDIR=c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-prof-0.7.1-x86-mswin32-6
    > 0/l
    > ib
    > RUBYLIBDIR=c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-prof-0.7.1-x86-mswin32-60
    > /lib
    > extension
    > 'rake' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
    > ou externe, un programme ex�cutable ou un fichier de commandes.

    gem install rake?

    That being said, since you're using mswin32, it should "just install"

    d:\dev>gem install ruby-prof
    Successfully installed ruby-prof-0.7.3-x86-mswin32-60
    1 gem installed

    Wonder why it's trying to install 0.7.1?
    Regardless, one other route you could take would be to install mingw
    version of ruby + devkit, then you'd have a nice shiny compiler to throw
    at those binary gems.
    http://programming-gone-awry.blogspot.com/2009/05/ruby-19-one-click-installer.html
    =r

    Roger Pack, Jul 14, 2009

  3. DG

    DG Guest

    rake is installed and up to date. still no change - same error.
    Didier

    DG, Jul 14, 2009
  4. DG

    Roger Pack Guest

    DG wrote:
    > rake is installed and up to date. still no change - same error.
    > Didier

    Ah are you building from source? If so you'll need a compiler [see my
    link to how to install mingw version of ruby, which has a compiler].
    You don't have to build from source, though--you can do gem install
    ruby-prof
    or possibly
    gem install ruby-prof --platform=mswin32
    GL.
    =r

    Roger Pack, Jul 14, 2009
  5. DG

    DG Guest

    I'd rather not install from source. It seems overkill for
    what I am looking for.
    I wait if someone as already solved the
    case without throwing deeper in the unknown.

    thanks.

    Didier

    DG, Jul 14, 2009
  6. DG

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Jul 14, 1:50 pm, "DG" <> wrote:
    > I'd rather not install from source. It seems overkill for
    > what I am looking for.
    > I wait if someone as already solved the
    > case without throwing deeper in the unknown.

    Politely ask the gem author to use rake-compiler to properly build
    native windows gems from Linux or OSX:

    http://github.com/luislavena/rake-compiler/tree/master

    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Jul 14, 2009
  7. DG

    DG Guest

    > Politely ask the gem author to use rake-compiler to properly build
    > native windows gems from Linux or OSX:
    >
    > http://github.com/luislavena/rake-compiler/tree/master

    There is already a windows gem but it doesn't install.

    Somebody knows, we have to wait.

    thanks.

    Didier

    DG, Jul 15, 2009
  8. DG

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Jul 15, 1:53 am, "DG" <> wrote:
    > > Politely ask the gem author to use rake-compiler to properly build
    > > native windows gems from Linux or OSX:

    > >http://github.com/luislavena/rake-compiler/tree/master

    > There is already a windows gem but it doesn't install.

    The gem is prior version 0.7, and that one do not work for you, as you
    clearly stated.

    > Somebody knows, we have to wait.

    Well, that is not a good answer.

    I'm not sure the step used by the gem author to generate the Windows
    gem, but what I'm suggesting is help them generate more easily.

    Get in touch with the gem author and ask, instead of publicly ask to
    someone that is not the gem author (and under some circumstances not
    even user of that particular gem).

    You can defenitely get more results pushing for the outcome than
    siting and wait to be frustrated by the lack of response.

    You can try an alternative which is switch to mingw32 based Ruby for
    Windows:

    http://blog.mmediasys.com/2009/06/28/rubyinstaller-preview1-released/

    And install the Development Kit to compiler yourself the gem on
    Windows. See the tutorial wiki page for more information.

    http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/tutorials

    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Jul 15, 2009
  9. DG

    DG Guest

    Sorry. Sorry. I simply mean, there is some users on windows (found 2
    with win32ole+ruby-prof). They may still use version 0.6.
    But they miss the pause functionality.

    Most of the time, I do not even ask, sit and wait but search,
    RFM and found. You are right, I will try to contact the gem
    author.

    Didier

    DG, Jul 16, 2009
  10. DG

    Alexey L. Guest

    try installing a prebuilt binary. There is no one for the last version,
    so you have to say:

    gem install ruby-prof --platform=mswin32 -v 0.8.1

    Alexey L., Nov 30, 2010